We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacobite Steam train

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dennison, Ohio
Jacobite Steam train

I am having trouble booking a morning trip on the train in first class for August. Can anyone tell me the differences between the morning and afternoon trains and between first class and standard seats? Thank you,

London
reviews: 35
1. Re: Jacobite Steam train

'The Jacobite' is a privately-run train, operated by West Coast Railways.

For more information, and to book, go direct to their website:

www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite_home.cfm

Edited: 9:55 am, April 25, 2013
Dennison, Ohio
2. Re: Jacobite Steam train

Thank you. I have this information but could not find the difference in morning and evening train trip quality. Can you help?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 44
3. Re: Jacobite Steam train

I've never travelled on it, so I'm no expert, but I've seen it many times, and the two return trips appear to be made by similar stock - old red carriages hauled by steam engines. First class seats are a bit more spacious than second class, but the views out of the window are just as good whichever class you travel!

bolton
reviews: 10
4. Re: Jacobite Steam train

Hi

Apparently Scot rail also run a train on that line for half the price just do a google search and look at reviews

Cotswolds
5. Re: Jacobite Steam train

I think (not 100% sure) that the same train runs both the morning and afternoon trips. Possibly a different locomotive, but the same carriages.

Fort William...
reviews: 63
6. Re: Jacobite Steam train

It's a different train and different carriages. I think they cross at Glenfinnan. The main difference is the morning train has a longer stop in Mallaig so you can have lunch, but there's not time on the evening train.

First class is comfortable, and you get tea and a scone (plus a better class of person :-)). You tend to be crammed in in second class and surrounded by noisy kids.

The Scotrail train goes the same route and you get the same views. However, you don't get the nostalgia, the noise, the smell, the excitement or the buzz.

I think there is also the possibility of getting Scotrail to Mallaig and the steam train back as some coach companies only do one way trips and then take people to Skye of buss them back to FW.

Edited: 3:50 pm, May 28, 2013
reviews: 37
7. Re: Jacobite Steam train

However, you don't get the nostalgia, the noise, the smell, the excitement or the buzz.

---

The line is about the views. Not about a "buzz".

Just catch the Scotrail service. It's a third of the price, more services and goes on exactly the same line, with the same views

Fort William...
reviews: 63
8. Re: Jacobite Steam train

If you just want to views, get the Scotrail. If you want the experience, get the steam train. If you can't see how they are different, then I'm sorry for you for having no soul.

London
reviews: 33
9. Re: Jacobite Steam train

I suspect a lot of the capacity of the morning train is block booked for tours, which could explain why you can't find tickets. The afternoon trip was added a couple of summers ago to offer additional capacity.

reviews: 37
10. Re: Jacobite Steam train

If you can't see how they are different

----

Its clear how they are different. The Jacobite is 3 times the price for a less useful service.

As has been said many times before, if you want a steam train, just catch one of the many heritage lines in this country, which dont charge crazy prices like the Jacobite, and use the Scotrail service to Mallaig. It would still work out as half the price of the Jacobite if you did both.

Edited: 8:06 am, May 29, 2013