We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

Hi, I'm planning for a short break to Fort william/Mallaig. I have plan to visit

(1) the scenic rail route from Fort william to Mallaig

(2) take the gondola cable car to Ben nevis mountain range.

I would like to stay in a place with awesome scenic views. I'm confused where I should search for accommodation in Fort william or Mallaig ?

Please suggest.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

Depends. Will you have a car? If so don't stay in either. Fort William is a dull town and there's nothing much at Mallaig. There are lots of lovely scenic places to stay in the area. Are you looking for a hotel or a B&B?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
2. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

I don't have a car and will depend on public transport. I would prefer a B&B to a hotel.

3. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:39 pm, April 08, 2013
Halifax, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

where planing a wild camping weekend rather soon we,ll be using public transport , we,d like fantastic views good walks and wild life any suggestions?

Edited: 12:10 pm, April 04, 2013
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
5,406 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

Michelle, I can recommend Mallaig as a starting point for ferries to the island of Rum , and to Inverie on the Knoydart peninsula, both wonderful places for wild camping.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

Krismani85

See if you can organise your train journey to be able to get off at Arisaig. There's some fabulous B&B accommodation there with amazing views. If you choose one further from the station they might even arrange to collect you. Definitely worth exploring, to compare with Fort William and Mallaig options.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

There are plenty of B&Bs in both Ft William and Mallaig.

Mallaig is the more attractive, more atmospheric place to stay. It also has a great fish n chip restaurant and I've had superb langoustines - a whole plateful - at the restaurant on the corner opposite that fish n chip place.

8. Re: Stay in Fort William or Mallaig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2014