We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

Which Fort William hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
reviews: 59
Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

A article in the Sunday Post newspaper tells of a cleanup on the top of Ben Nevis. Included in the rubbish was over 1000 banana skins.

It is a well known fact that it takes 2 years for the skins to rot. (or in the bottom of my rucksack just 2 weeks) So can I ask anybody who is going up Ben Nevis or anywhere else in fact. Then please take your rubbish home so the rest of us can enjoy the countryside without looking at all your rubbish.

ian480.

New York City, New...
reviews: 51
11. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

>> Are you planning to climb Ben Nevis and not walk up it? <<

It would be by walking. We Americans tend to use the term climbing for ascending any height, even on a relatively easy footpath. Back in October 1973, when we were fit, it would have still been by walking.

On our visit then, we arrived at Fort William by bus from Inverness in early afternoon, and walked to the hostel at the glen. The idea was to have a walkabout near there, and go up as far as we could the next day. There was snow on the summit, so the summit was out of the question. The next day, it was rainy and misty, so we walked back to Fort William to take the train to Glasgow.

-- Steve

Kingston-upon-Hull...
12. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

Hi YakkinYeti

By starting from the Youth Hostel (SYH) You are starting the walk up Ben Nevis the hard way. Just walk the first bit up to the main track nice and easy.

If your into your beer on the way down walk pass the path back to the hostel and visit the pub near the start (trail head) form there you can pick up the path that takes you down to the river and the road back to your hostel.

Good luck. Ian.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
13. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

Great post Ian. Anything to raise awareness of the problem of litter in general, but particularly Ben Nevis is a good idea.

some relatives went up to the top of the mountain a couple of years ago and were astounded by the amount of litter on and around the path. It was much talked about for some time after. Cigarette ends don't decompose easily either, but they are discarded without a second thought.

Throwing litter isn't something you'd expect of people who clearly enjoy the great outdoors.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
14. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

<Throwing litter isn't something you'd expect of people who clearly enjoy the great outdoors>

May I be bold enough to say, "that most people who go up Ben Nevis in the summer months are doing it on a one off charity event" And as such they don't give a dam about the countryside as long as they can go in the pub back home and show off how good they are.

Could be wrong though.

ian480.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
15. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

…bbc.co.uk/1/…4990662.stm

It's not just banana skins. More than one piano (presumably taken up as a publicity / fund-raising stunt) have been found at the top!

So, come on you charity walkers - take your bananas and pianos home with you!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
16. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

For those of you out there that thinks we are talking rubbish, well yes we are! But.

Have a look at this BBC film clip. It tells you about the piano, wheelchair and yes them bl**dy banana skins.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/10178635

ian480.

Edited: 11:31 am, July 17, 2010
Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 116
17. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

Hello Ian - well said in your original post and yes I did know that banana skins do not rot easily. It always amazes me that people who enjoy the great outdoors(and we must assume they are healthy types who love the peace, quiet, seclusion and lack of rubbish) MUST be the same people who also leave their banana skins behind.....!

When my husband and I go out walking(and NO I am not H.M.Queen) we always make a joke of chucking our rubbish over our shoulders when we finish our picnic and wait to see which one of us can hold out longest before picking it up and taking it home! How can people DO that?? I must admit I used to moan at my kids for bringing home pockets full of rubbish at the end of the school week - and then I realised that they didn't just chuck it down on the street...and still don't even as grown ups(thank goodness) Don't get me started on the subject of rubbish - have you been to the Red Sea or the Maldives? Have you seen what is happening to the coral and sea life? It makes my blood boil! Grrrrr - that's dog speak for angry!

Woody x

18. Re: Up Ben Nevis on a banana skin.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 15, 2011