We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Which Inverness hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 16
Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

I am trying to decide on a cruise that stops in Inverness. I have already posted in the main UK forum, but I thought I might get some additional advice on Inverness if I posted here specifically. The ship is docked for 10 hours, so we would likely have 8 hours (at most) to explore. To save money, we are trying to do as much on our own as we can. This port may be the only one where a tour or excursion from the ship might be required. The itinerary says Inverness, but I have heard from some that it might very well be Invergordon.

- What is there to do in the area that is accessible by public transit?

- Are there other nearby towns/villages that are worth visiting and can be accessed by bus/train? According to Google maps, there doesn't appear to be a lot in the area.

- Is some sort of tour required to really benefit from being in this area? We certainly don't want to miss out on something fabulous, especially because for the rest of our cruise, we will be primarily in cities and won't be taking any trips into the countryside.

Thanks so much for your help!

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, St. Andrews
reviews: 130
11. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

OOH! Found this....

http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/bus.htm

Sounds like its made for you!

Woody x

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 248
12. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Yes, Woodybark, that is an option, though it is not without its downsides - it can be hard to get a group together who can agree on where to go and what to see. The OP seemed keen to save money too. Although DIY excursions can be quite a bit cheaper than ships tours, it is still significantly more than using alocal bus or train.

Also, tours organised by the cruise line will guarantee to wait for you!! We usually do a ship excursion if we want to visit an area that is a fair way away from the dock, as the further you go, the more potnetial there is to be delayed.

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
13. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

I think there was actually a local bus option in that advert too BTW...

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
14. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Sorry woodybank, must have missed that!

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
15. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Bark - its Bark!

;-)))

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
16. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

I need to get a new pair of glasses, obviously!

No offence I hope :)

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
17. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

:-))))

18. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, July 29, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 28
19. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

I just returned from a cruise on the Caribbean Princess and we docked in Invergordon. I wouldn't recommend the ship's excursions as they are very expensive. I hired a minibus (in advance) from Highland Executive Travel. Stuart Thorpe met us right at the cruise ship dock. He was very knowledgeable and in the 8 hours or so while we were in the port we were able to see Cawdor Castle (the gardens are spectacular), Inverness (beautiful town), Loch Ness & Urquhart Castle, drove past Culloden Battlefield, through the countryside, and had time to spare. If you are on a budget and book early enough, his minibus holds about 6 - 7 people. You could post it on Cruise Critic to see if you could share the excursion to keep costs down. If we had had the energy we could have gone to Glenmorangie Distillery (just 11 miles outside of Invergordon). They also accept Visa (unlike taxis and other modes of transportation) if that helps. The website is www.highlandexecutivetravel.co.uk. We loved this place so much that we would like to return and stay for a couple of weeks. I hope that you will have the chance to see more than just Invergordon (the murals are very nice), but the real beauty of this part of Scotland is outside of town.

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
20. Re: Advice on One day in Inverness from Cruise Ship

Tut tut Stu - you KNOW that's not allowed! I think MMcCauley63 did you proud anyway!

Woody x