We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Coylumbridge

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Hotel Coylumbridge

We are using this timeshare for a week at the end of April. Is it possible to make day trips from this location and still be able to see a lot of Scotland? We are flying into Edinburgh and planning on renting a car.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
1. Re: Hotel Coylumbridge

It is a stunning part of the countryside and you can certainly venture out in the car and do some sightseeing from there. I've travelled thru the Aviemore/Cairngorms area a few times, but am not an afficionado, but if you use the website www.theaa.com it is brilliant for getting driving routes, directions, maps and approximate timings for journeys.

Driving will be mainly on country roads, so slower than you are used to, but that is really part of the charm of this unhurried and beautiful part of the country.

You'll have a great time. I went on the funicular railway up Cairngorm by Aviemore at easter a few years back, and they were still skiing then - wish I knew how to do that, as I would gladly have joined them! It was a year when we had something of a heatwave, so the weather was absolutely glorious and sunny.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
reviews: 68
2. Re: Hotel Coylumbridge

Aviemore is the nearest town to Coylumbridge and it is both on the main railway line from Edinburgh & Glasgow to Inverness and points North and the A9 which is the major road.

There are loads of things to see in the area,and there is a website that covers the area www.visitaviemore.com.

If you have time on your drive North take a side trip into the lovely village of Dunkeld in Perthshire or Pitlochry which is a well kept Highland town which is a little touristy but it has a nice feel to it.

www.perthshire.co.uk can help you with stops on the way North.

enjoy your visit......

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 46
3. Re: Hotel Coylumbridge

Hi Panda. We'll be staying at the Coylumbridge end of May, so I shall look forward to hearing your thoughts about the place! I'm not expecting anything really exciting, having read the reviews, but it is supposed to be good for families.

Just to let you know what's on our itinerary (we too will have a car to get around):

see the Cairngorm reindeer

Cairngorm railway and general area - love to see the Highlands

Boat ride to see the dolphins in the Moray Firth

Horse riding for our 9 year old daughter

Possibly some watersports on Loch Insch for 13 yr old son,

Visit Culloden Battlefields,

Generally explore the Aviemore and Inverness areas.

Quick tour to say we've seen Loch Ness, but I think there's a more picturesque Loch to visit, but I can't think what it's called at the moment. Perhaps Purpleceltic or the others can help out with this...

I did wonder about a day trip to the Orkneys, but we'll have to see about that one. You could also get over to the West coast, but I don't think we'll do that.

We're going to end up in Edinburgh. DH thinks he ought to see whisky being made; we won't visit the observatory as it'll be the wrong time of year; Castle (of course!) and I want to do one of the ghost walks.

Enjoy your holidy!

4. Re: Hotel Coylumbridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore