We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 24
Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

Hi all.

We are coming to Aviemore in February and have never previously ventured north of Glasgow. Discounting travelling days we will only have 2 complete days for sightseeing. And there's the conundrum. I have looked at the various tourism websites and there's enough to fill two weeks, let alone two days!

So, here's my question: To those of you who know the area well, if you only had two days to see the best of this area, where would you go?

A bit of background about us, if it helps. We are a family of 2 adults, a 12 year old and a 5 year old. We are flying to Inverness and renting a car - staying at the Hilton in Coylumbridge. We are reasonably well travelled and the kids are good and adventurous (doesn't everyone say that.....)! We like to do a mix of things, some to suit adults and some to suit kids.

Thanks in advance if anyone gives their preferred days out. Would also welcome any general tips if anyone has them. We've only just booked our trip today and are really looking forward to coming!

Best wishes, Kirsty

Scotland
reviews: 11
21. Re: Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

Hi!!

We have just returned from a few days in Aviemore! I've been visiting every wear since I was a little girl (I'm 34 now!)

There is lots of gorgeous snow at The Cairngorms just now but there is still easy access via the roads. We are non-skiers but love going up the funicular railway (wrap up warm as its chilly at the top!)

There's the Reindeer centre and The Sled Dog centre near to the hotel and there

are so many gorgeous locations right on the doorstep of your hotel - Loch Morlich, Rothiemurchus estate and a short drive away is Loch Garten.

We also loved the little cafe at Loch Morlich which has an outdoor balcony area for viewing birds and red squirrels!!

For eating out we love Roo's Leap and The Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore town centre.

I'd be happy to send you over some photos!!

Enjoy, it really is one of my fabourite areas of the UK!

Leona

Scotland
reviews: 11
22. Re: Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

Hi!!

We have just returned from a few days in Aviemore! I've been visiting every wear since I was a little girl (I'm 34 now!)

There is lots of gorgeous snow at The Cairngorms just now but there is still easy access via the roads. We are non-skiers but love going up the funicular railway (wrap up warm as its chilly at the top!)

There's the Reindeer centre and The Sled Dog centre near to the hotel and there

are so many gorgeous locations right on the doorstep of your hotel - Loch Morlich, Rothiemurchus estate and a short drive away is Loch Garten.

We also loved the little cafe at Loch Morlich which has an outdoor balcony area for viewing birds and red squirrels!!

For eating out we love Roo's Leap and The Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore town centre.

I'd be happy to send you over some photos!!

Enjoy, it really is one of my fabourite areas of the UK!

Leona

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 15
23. Re: Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

Coming to Aviemore 21Sept for a week. Will have a car. Four adults. Want to do some whiskey tasting but also want to see the area. I have read about the train up the mountain, the wildlife centre(although we have lots of animals in South Africa,but maybe different ones). Where is the best areas to go? Can we take a day trip to Isle of Skye? Does it make sense to drive more north than Inverness? What other towns are nearby and what do they offer?

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, St. Andrews
reviews: 129
24. Re: Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

You really would be best to re-post your entire question on the forum as it will be lost here and you won't get any answers - that's what happens when you tag a new question on to an old thread.

Re-post and good luck!

25. Re: Aviemore First Timers - General Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore