We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland UK
reviews: 18
Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

Im coming up to stay in the Hilton Colyumbridge at the end of January , I am hoping to either venture up the cairngorms on the chair lifts or something in the afternoon ( we have both never ski/snowboarded before) so looking for something fun but will use up a couple of hours? Also Im looking for somewhere nice to eat in the evening although we will be overnight there on the Sunday night so not sure if this limits where will be open for later evening meals? My husband is a reall foodie and also not from Scotland so a trip up the cairngorms in the chairlifts im sure will be exciting enough any hints or pointers with what to do would be great! Thanks

northumberland
reviews: 87
1. Re: Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

Hi

Aviemore end of January with all this snow! BRILLIANT!!!

You will have to go up in the funicular railway if you are going up top of Cairngornm, the white lady chairlift is no more, but still quite an experience if all this snow is still around (which it will be)-

The leisure facilities at the Mcdonald highland resort in aviemore are in my oppinion much better than your hotels, and you can have a wander around the main street shopping-

eating out on an evening, in again my oppinion, try the Cairngorm Hotel (main Street- grampian road)- Excellent quality food in the resturant, may have to book in at Lunchtime though if busy- you pay a bit more but service and quality are excellent. really 4 or 5*

There are some really nice walks around aviemore, just chill out and enjoy the Highlands

Enjoy

Ian

x

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, St. Andrews
reviews: 130
2. Re: Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

Hi Loo-eeze

What about treating yourself to a Sleddog trip although depending on when you will be here the Annual Husky Club of Great Britain holds its rally over the weekend of 22nd to 24th. If we still have snow by then (and believe me this lot is going to take months to disappear!) it should be spectacular. The Sleddog Centre is on the road leading to Cairngorm Mountain so you will pass it on the way, on the left hand side going up.

www.sled-dogs.co.uk

The 30 minute trips cost £60 per adult - not cheap but I have heard its a fantastic experience (I'm still saving up!!)

As for eating out I second the Cairngorm Hotel - its a good atmosphere. I also like La Taverna which you will pass at the roundabout going into Aviemore from the A9. Another place thats great for lunch is The Mountain Cafe at the far end of the main street, near the Police Station. You can't book unfortunately but its worth waiting in the queue for a table.

Don't miss the hot chocolate at The Ptarmigan Restaurant when you have journeyed up the mountain - its yummy!

www.cairngormmountain.com

There are lots of beautiful walks from the hotel you are staying in - try and pick up the Rothiemurchus Explorer Maps for £1.50 at the visitor centre

www.rothiemurchus.com

If the snow isn't too bad head up to Blackpark and Tullochgrue for fabulous views of the mountains - its about 40 minutes walk from your hotel.

Hope you have a fab holiday

All the best

Woody x

Broken Hill...
reviews: 264
3. Re: Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

If your husband is a real foodie, then I would suggest a taxi ride to either Anderson's restaurant in nearby Boat of Garten

http://www.andersonsrestaurant.co.uk/

or slightly further afield to the Craggan Mill just outside Grantown

http://www.cragganmill.co.uk/

Although the food and craic at the Cairngorm Hotel is good and the portions are generous, the menu is not particularly special. The menu and food at the two places above are though and come highly recommended.

Edited: 5:16 pm, January 14, 2010
Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, St. Andrews
reviews: 130
4. Re: Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

Or The Glasshouse Restaurant in Grantown on Spey which gets a good name too...

www.theglasshouse-grantown.co.uk

W x

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 88
5. Re: Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

The Caringorm is a great little hotel and it's food is excellent. Nothing "gormet" about it- just high quality well prepared and wonderful. I usually get the roast chicken with skirlie (a Scottish dish- just try it!), kilted soldier and potatoes and veg. Their roast lamb is also excellent. Hubby swears by the fish and chips. Wish I was there now!!!!!

6. Re: Birthday weekend with my husband in Aviemore help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore