We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris
Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

Hello,

I'm a foreigner and I live in Glasgow where I found myself a job to improve my English, but I would like to have a "day out" of town and enjoy a bit of Nature and great landscapes of Scotland. As it will be my only hike (I only stay one month) I request your advices =) Is Cairngorm a good choice for a one day trip ? Is it easily reachable from Aviemore ? How difficult is it and what about the view once at the top?

If you have other suggestions do not hesitate.

Thanks

Cheshire
reviews: 138
1. Re: Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

Hi,

The Cairngorms is a beautiful area,great walks ranging from mountain views to forest walks and is easily reachable from Avimore.I would advise you to stop at the mountain cafe in Avimore town,its a great place to eat/drink,not expensive and its always full of hikers,walkers,mountain climbers and people on days out.

I hope you enjoy your day out.

Phil

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

Iadmit I don't know them well, but I have always thought the Cairngorms are a bit, well, rounded. And they are quite far from Glasgow - you will spend several hours getting there.

Why not try somewhere closer like Ben Lomond in the Trossachs National Park,a few miles north of Glasgow (train to Balloch)?

Or try a sail to Brodick on Arran and walk up Goat Fell. Superb views and a memorableday out. (Train fromGlasgow central to Ardrossan HARBOUR (about 45 minutes, ferry takes about an hour; walk takes about 3-4 hours).

Enjoy.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 6
3. Re: Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

I would agree with PeterScot, Aviemore is not easily accessible from Glasgow but the Loch Lomond and Trossachs areas are, as is Arran. Plus Cairngorm is a serious mountain, it can generate genuine Arctic conditions on the summit (even in what we call summer), it is very exposed and not for the inexperienced. Ben Lomond or Goat Fell would be excellent alternatives.

Inverness, United...
reviews: 16
4. Re: Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

You'll love the Cairngorms! I live close by (Inverness) and go regularly a day out to the cairngorms. Highly recommended and lots of walks in the area. I think there is a section on walking on www.visitaviemore.com if that helps. Also visitscotland has a special walking web site, must be something like www.visitscotland.com/walking.

Take a ride on the funicular where you have a wonderful view over the Cairngorms. I'll say it's easy doable from Glasgow.

Hope this helps.

Rene

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 63
5. Re: Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

Does your day trip include getting their from Glasgow - and even getting back the same day? If so, the Cairngorms are too far away to do in a day - they are a long drive and then a long walk too - unless you want to drive there and just go up and down by funicular you won't have time!

For a taste of the west highlands, I suggest Ben Lomond - handy for Glasgow and there are two routes to the top - one very busy and one much quieter - if you go up the quiet one (over the hill called the Ptarmigan) and come down the busy one, you can have a nice round trip.

For a stunning viewpoint you don't even need to go up as big a hill - Ben A'an in the trossachs is a stunning viewpoint and a nice walk in itself - see www.incallander.co.uk/walks/benaan.htm for an idea.

PS I am a fan of the Cairngorms, so if you are going there for the weekend would recommend them, but not as a day trip!

6. Re: Cairngorn : a good choice ? need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore