We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill walking in mid March

Which Aviemore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Wirral, UK
reviews: 123
Hill walking in mid March

We will be staying at the McDonald Dalfaber Resort, Aviemore from Mar 14th - 21st '09. We are keen hill walkers with no experience of skiing! How realistic will it be to get a few high level walks in without too much snow to stop us in our walking boots? Or will we have to be content with low levels walks? In March this year we stayed in Perthshire and did Ben Ledi but there was still alot of snow about at the top. This was okay but would prefer not to be up to my waist in snow. Any tips appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Hill walking in mid March

Snow, snow, snow. I think you will be dealing with significant snowfall in March especially if this year is anything to go by. Get yourself kitted out and go walking in the snow, it's my favourite time to visit the mountains in Scotland.

Just as a comparison it got to -9 in Aviemore when I was there last winter, I loved it! (Am I weird to love cold weather?).

Hope this helps

Paul

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 70
2. Re: Hill walking in mid March

Hi

The honest answer is that we have no idea whether next year will be like this one, with heaps of snow in mid March, or like some other recent years, with very little at all.

If there is going to be snow in Scotland, then the hills near Aviemore are the ones that will have it - if you find the weather is snowier than you feel experienced to deal with, you could hire a guide for a day or two, and take advantage of their local experience. The Scottish winter hills can be just awe inspiring under winter conditions... Glenmore Lodge run lots of courses, and may be able to suggest individual guides.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Hill walking in mid March

There is consistent snow from roundabout mid-December to April on Scotland's mountains especially in the Cairngorms. I spend the majority of winter in the mountains and there is never lack of snow except on rare occasions. The important thing is to be prepared as the mountains experience arctic conditions and this is especially apparent on the Cairngorm plateau. The weather will change rapidly and good navigation is essential to avoid trouble. There are regular deaths through lack of preparedness so watch out. Don't let that stop you though, there is no place on earth like Scotland's mountains in winter. The atmosphere is something quite unique.

Paul

The Wirral, UK
reviews: 123
4. Re: Hill walking in mid March

Thanks for replies. Will just have to wait and see as with our climate you can never tell from one day to the next, never mind month to month. I expect there will be plenty of low level walking if we can't get too high. I'm not too keen on navigating in the snow, especially if it becomes blizzard conditions. We will go prepared as we always do and take all our gear just in case. There is always the option to walk back the way you came if the weather gets too bad.

5. Re: Hill walking in mid March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore