We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyleakin to Aviemore - too ambitious?

London
reviews: 3
Kyleakin to Aviemore - too ambitious?

Hi all,

I am at my final leg of scottish highland itinerary and need some help.

I am leaving Kyleakin around 9am on 10 May 2009, with the intention to drop by at Eliean Donan Castle (but not actually go into the castle as it doesn't open till 10am), then Loch Ness at Castle Urquhart and lastly drive up to Aviemore to go up the funicular to the Cairn Gorm. Do you think this is too ambitious as the funicular's last train up is 15:40 and last train down is 16:20?

What is the minimum time that I should spend at Cairn Gorm.

Also, is there a pedestrian route to walk down from Cairn Gorm (since the last train is 16:20) for not so average fit person?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 44
1. Re: Kyleakin to Aviemore - too ambitious?

It's about 100 miles, I reckon, so it could be done. But AFAIK you are not allowed to go up on the funicular and walk down. All you can do is admire the view and then go back down the way you went up.

See …scotsman.com/cairngormsnationalpark/Room-at…

So it doesn't look like a very good idea to me.

Scotland
reviews: 19
2. Re: Kyleakin to Aviemore - too ambitious?

Hi As already said you can not get out and walk down - you could do it if still the skiing season but that has just finished. It takes only about 10mins to get up so that would leave you 30mins to spend at the top station. There is an exhibition about the mountains which if you read everything and watch the short film will take about 20 mins, there is the usual shop which is not very big and then the restaurant where you can get very nice coffee and it has good views and then there is the viewing terrace which gives good all round views. So its really up to you. To be honest an hour is usually all it takes to see everying and to be ready to get back down. I have walked down after a day walking in the Cairngorms and its not an easy walk down, very very steep. Also, if you do decide to go please remember it can be very cold up there even if its a hot day in Aviemore. I have seen so many people going up in their tee shirts.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 5
3. Re: Kyleakin to Aviemore - too ambitious?

I just checked it on the AA routeplanner. This says from Kyleakin to Cairngorm ski centre is 123 miles and 3hrs 17 mins. So if you leave at 9 am this would suggest you could stop off somewhere on route for an hour or so and still get there in time. Mind you it is not uncommon to get stuck behind caravans etc on the road from Skye so I would allow for 4 hrs of actual driving.

4. Re: Kyleakin to Aviemore - too ambitious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, October 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aviemore and the...