We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inverness to Edinburgh

Which Scottish Highlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 24
Inverness to Edinburgh

I'm planning a trip to the UK in July and plan to spend the first part in England. I could use some help with the second part from those in the know, such as yourselves!

This is the rough itinerary for the Scottish portion:

Day 7: Fly from Cardiff to Inverness in the morning

Day 8: Drive Inverness to Edinburgh

Day 9: Edinburgh

Day 10: Glasgow

My specific questions are:

(1) Where should we stay around Inverness? We're looking for a charming, scenic town - hills or lake, etc. Ideally, it would be somewhere near Inverness so we don't spend a large portion of Day 7 driving. I've seen some mention of Aviemore, but not many details.

(2) What's the best route to take from Inverness to Edinburgh for making some fun stops? How long should it take?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

London
reviews: 52
1. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

If I was flying into Inverness in the morning and collecting a car at the airport then I would simply stay overnight in Inverness and perhaps do some on the interesting sites in the area such as Culloden Battlefield on the edge of town. In the evening there are some lovely walks along the side of the River Ness and some good restaurants along the riverside.

The drive to Edinburgh is south down the A9 which by passes many of the small towns on the way but you could stop off at a few places of interest along the way. The link below is for children but many are good for adults too

dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/aviemore

London
reviews: 26
2. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

Slightly puzzled by this itinerary. You seem to be flying to Inverness then almost immediately driving to Edinburgh. If you don't want to spend any time in the Highlands, wouldn't it be simpler for you to fly to Edinburgh direct? The drive down the A9 (the main road from Inverness to Edinburgh) can be a trudge - it is likely to be busy in high summer - and always has a lot of commercial vehicles on it as it is the main artery to the highlands..

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 6
3. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

You could consider staying in Nairn which is roughly midway between the airport and Inverness and a pleasant costal town in its own right. As well as Culloden Moor mentioned above, Brodie Castle in neighbouring Forres is also worth visiting.

Rather than take the A9 you could meander down the A937 stopping at Ballater before taking the A93 via Braemar and then picking up the M90 at Perth.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

Thanks much for the suggestions! Smithstone and hardygeranium - I'm looking into Nairn and staying in Inverness.

rcspeirs - the idea was to spend all of day 7 and morning/early afternoon of day 8 in the Highlands before heading down to Edinburgh. It looks like the drive is 3-4 hours, so I thought we could spend a day exploring and then be in Edinburgh by dinner time. I'm seeing a lot of day trip packages into the Highlands from Edinbugh, so I figured we could accomplish the same thing by flying straight into Inverness and save some time.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 76
5. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

WIthin an hour of Inverness you have Nairn, but also Grantown on Spey and Aviemore,

Please look at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ in irder to find thins worth doing. Out problem is we don;t know your interests and therefore it's difficult to advise.

in other words tell us what you think 'fun' is.

San Francisco...
6. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

Thanks, Derek. We'd be interested in canoeing/kayaking, or shopping and exploring a small town. We'd like to stay somewhere scenic or characteristic of the highland terrain.

7. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

Mmm, it's difficult to think of a place 'typical' of the highlands as it's a very diverse area. If you head north slightly (a9 north), crossing the bridge there's a viewing place for seeing dolphins (you're not guaranteed to see them but definitely worth a look)..there are roadworks on the bridge now though so I'd avoid peak times. I agree culloden battlefield is worth a look if you're interested in highland history. Drumnadrochit is a cute little town but perhaps a bit too out of the way if you're not there long? Castle Urquhart is close by to it (by the edge of loch Ness) and has a beautiful view of the loch and a decent visitor centre. You can also take a boat trip across the Loch. What about loch Ness visitor centre and hear about the 'Nessy' legend?! The a9 south as mentioned is the quickest route to Edinburgh. I would say south Queensferry is definitely worth a short stop as it has stunning views of the forth road and railbridges. Again think there's a boat trip. Orroco Pier in south Queensferry is excellent for food/cocktails.. hope that helps and you have a fab trip to the uk! :-)

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 76
8. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

Given your intentions re Inverness to Edinburgh:

> We'd be interested in canoeing/kayaking,

It's possible to canoe on the river Spey - which has some graded parts, and there are fishing rights which constrain where companies can conveniently operate. There's canoeing on Loch Morlich in the hills above Aviemore.

fullonadventure.co.uk/adventure-journeys/…

http://www.lochmorlich.com/lessons.htm

> or shopping

Inverness

> and exploring a small town.

Nairn might qualify but you might want to look at a little place like Boat of Garten, with a private steam train connection to Aviemore

>We'd like to stay somewhere scenic or characteristic of the highland terrain.

Hmm. Not Aviemore itself, but maybe Coylumbridge (views south to the Cairngorms) or the already mentioned Boat of Garten (surrounded by pine woodlands and with Loch Garten fairly near). Or somewhere like Blair Atholl (Blair Castle and nice surrounding scenery), much further south. Why not google for some of these places?

Edited: 9:34 am, May 24, 2013
San Francisco...
9. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

Thanks so much Carrie-cupcake (love the name) and Derek G! Exactly the type of suggestions I was looking for. Onward with the planning!

Wodonga, Australia
reviews: 95
10. Re: Inverness to Edinburgh

What would you think about Inverness to Aberdeen to Dundee to Inverness . We are thinking of doing this trip in late August in 1 day.

Paul

Australia