We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel of character in Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 7
hotel of character in Glasgow

My husband and I are going to Glasgow for a long weekend later on this month. We'd like to stay in a nice hotel or B&B with a bit of character within walking distance of the city centre. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
1. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Welcome to the forum Silena. I'm not very familiar with Glasgow hotels, but one that I see mentioned fondly with regularity is Langs

http://www.langshotels.co.uk/

Apparently the restaurant is fabulous and it is well located. Someone will no doubt come along with some suggestions, but meanwhile its worth checking out the button on the left of the screen for Glasgow Hotels and have a read of some of the reviews.

the website www.laterooms.co.uk is running a January sale on rooms, which include some good bargains in Glasgow, so it might be worth a look.

Hope this helps a little

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 6
2. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Hi Silena

Agree with Purpleceltic about Langs, have only heard good things about it and the food in the restaurant (Oshi) is really nice.

Only thing is, when you say 'a bit of character', makes me think maybe Langs might not be for you as its very modern and minimalist.

Maybe somewhere like the Millenium on George Sq or the Carlton George might be more what your after? Or for somewhere a bit smaller maybe one of the B&B's listed on .... oops can't rememebr the website....

Purple! Can you help? Is it visitscotland.com???

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
3. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Your spot on JB it is www.visitscotland.com. The Millenium Hotel seems like a good recommendation and you can get and excellent discounted rate through www.laterooms.co.uk at the moment. Its very central and close to transport links if you need buses or trains.

Glasgow
reviews: 26
4. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Langs is very nice I agree, but not in the nicest spot ....although what is come to that???

I would suggest Malmaison but again it isn't in the nicest spot either given its proximity to Blythswood Square!! but it is stunning in appearance and the food is excellent..... I haven't stayed there but know people who have and they were enchanted. Having read some of the reviews though it does seem a bit hit and miss.

Very difficult to make a recommendation but I am inclined to agree with PC and JB..Millenium has a lot going for it, I see visitors having their brekkie as I scurry past of a morning on my way to work just off the Square. Or what about Babbity Bowster for something a bit different?? In the Merchant City, quiet but once again maybe a bit iffy if you are walking about late at night.

Have a nice trip whatever you decide.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 68
5. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Hi Silena,

I am a huge fan of Langs Hotel and the restaurant Oshi.

I also like the Millenium (I'd recommend cocktails in the conservatory overlooking George Square), but I would caution you that you will almost certainly experience train/station announcement noise, unless you book a Clubroom at the front of the hotel.

I'd recommend the Clubroom having stayed in one and thought I'd died and gone to heaven (claw foot bath the works)!!

However, from your post I got the impression you had a picture in your head of 'B&B with character'.

Does this fit the bill?

scottishaccommodationindex.com/glasgow01/ala…

Let me know if I'm on the right track!!

Emelda

London
reviews: 116
6. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

I stayed at both Langs and Millenium when I was up a few months ago. I have posted my reviews as I was able to make a direct comparison. I would say if yiu are looking for character got for The Millenium. We asked for a quiet room and got a corner room on 4th floor. It was really peaceful. If you do decide on the Langs (also a great hotel) make sure you ask for a room at the back. Again, very quiet.

Both are in excellent locations.

Mississauga
reviews: 15
7. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

We've booked Park House, a b & b in the west end for a trip in May. A trip advisor member recommended the Victorian Room. Website is www.parkhouseglasgow.co.uk. I have never been to Glasgow so I can't say if it is walking distance to the city centre.

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 63
8. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Hi

I have stayed in Park House (and indeed would recommend it).Especially the Victorian room. It is very handy for the west end - you can get a bus into town from near Park House, or walk for a bit and catch the underground. I'm sure the owners will be able to suggest the best ways for getting around.

Glasgow, United...
9. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

Since you want a hotel with character you might want to try the Arthouse Hotel (now called ABode):

http://www.abodehotels.co.uk/glasgow/

It's not the cheapest, but is a nice hotel and had plenty of character.

10. Re: hotel of character in Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 pm, January 12, 2007