We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, County Galway
reviews: 8
A visit to the Hunterian sites...

I've been studying and sifting my way through the Glasgow forum for the past few weeks and have now come up with an itinerary for a 3 night trip to Glasgow next month that I'm really happy with. I work in the Museums/Galleries field so the trip is largely geared towards visiting some that I've not been to before...

I have hit a stumbling block, however, with a proposed day out at the Hunterian sites so any tips to help me order the following into the most sensible route would be appreciated. Our order of preference is as listed (due to an interest in what's at each site and also to the basic principal of visiting the site furthest away first) but I'm not sure that it would be the best circuit to follow as I read that a guided tour is needed for the Mackintosh House and most reports on TA suggest that you need to book this at the Art Gallery - is this really the case? Or is it possible to merely turn up at the MH first, at opening time say, and book onto a tour from there? It will be a Tuesday if that makes any difference...

1. Mackintosh House

2. Hunterian Art Gallery

3. Hunterian Museum

As a bit of context we'll be staying at Blythswood Square and plan to take a taxi to the first destination and then walk between them hoping to avoid as much back-tracking as possible. Depending on time spent at the individual sites we might also carry on to Kelvingrove (by foot) for an end of day visit to some of my favourite rooms there. Would anyone know the approximate taxi fare from the hotel to the first venue? And the approximate cost of a taxi from Kelvingrove to Blythswood Square?

:-)

Glasgow
reviews: 2
1. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

These are short distances and taxi will not be expensive.

The Roman display at the Hunterian is exceptional.

There is a path from the back of the University which comes out between the Western Infirmary and Kelvingrove.

There are also lots of buses from Kelvingrove back towards Blythswood Sq or Sauchiehall St.

Glasgow
2. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

http://www.gla.ac.uk/hunterian/visit/tours/

Does this help?

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
3. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

As Kenko says taxis are ludicrously cheap in Glasgow, a taxi from Blythswood Sq to the main gate of the University will be roughly £4:40, reception will phone you one, about £4 from Kelvingrove back, stand outside on the main road to flag one down if there is not already any sitting on the Rank at the side of the Kelvin Hall

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, County Galway
4. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Thanks kenko92

I have been referencing that exact page during my planning but can't find out whether I need to book the Mackintosh House tour at the Art Gallery (as suggested in some TA posts) or whether I can book it on arrival at the house itself. I'm HOH and don't use a telephone but I'll send them an email if nobody comes through with the answer here...

Do you know how far it is between the Art Gallery and the House? If they are near then maybe it doesn't matter and we could go to the Art Gallery first anyway :-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, County Galway
5. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Thanks madscotsman115 - that's great information :-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, County Galway
6. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

@ madscotsman115

Would you know the approx taxi fares for:

1. Blythswood Square to Òran Mór

2. Blythswood Square to the Mackintosh Church at Queens Cross

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, County Galway
7. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Oh silly me I've just downloaded the Visitor Guide (www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_207720_en.pdf) and now realise that the Mackintosh House and the Hunterian Art Gallery are in the same building - panic over!!!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
8. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Not more than £6 and £5 respectively

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, County Galway
9. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Brilliant stuff - many thanks again madscotsman115

And such great news too as £5 gets you nowhere in a taxi in Manchester nowadays!

Glasgow
10. Re: A visit to the Hunterian sites...

Kelvingrove has a Vettriano exhibition just now which is worth seeing.

It is hidden in the basement where there is also a decent cafe if you need lunch.

Edited: 12:01 pm, January 22, 2014