We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just outside Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
reviews: 3
just outside Glasgow

Hi

can anyone recommend an area within about 30 minutes train commute from Glasgow as a base for the commonwealth games?

thanks

14 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 236
11. Re: just outside Glasgow

Ian makes a good point. Like many areas in easy commuting distance from Glasgow, South Ayrshire is playing host to commonwealth games competitors. Having a solid plan as far in advance as possible is definitely the way to go and hopefully the tent won't be required ;)

Edited: 6:31 am, October 01, 2013
Greenock, United...
reviews: 24
12. Re: just outside Glasgow

I only remembered as my brother got married in Bridge of Allan last summer and had a bit of a fight with the hotel as they had been promised exclusive use of the hotel but the hotel then had booked in people who were accompanying members of one of the Paralympic squads so Renfrewshire and Inverclyde could be options.

Helensburgh, United...
reviews: 71
13. Re: just outside Glasgow

Agree totally with everything said aleady and some of my fondest memories are of times spent in Preswick/Ayr (I can even remember when Prestwick had an American Air Force Base!!!). The only thing I would add/suggest, and forgive me if you've done so already, but I would check for times of last bus/train in case you want to spend an evening in Glasgow to enjoy the delights of the Merchant City, etc.

Loch Lomond
reviews: 93
14. Re: just outside Glasgow

If you fancy staying by Loch Lomond in a very picturesque area then Balloch has a direct train service to Glasgow with trains every thirty minutes and a journey time of 47 minutes. Balloch is a small tourist town right on the southern end of Loch Lomond. It has lots of accommodations options and tourist services and I am not aware of any Games activity in our area.

Reply to: just outside Glasgow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted