We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just outside Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool
reviews: 3
just outside Glasgow

Hi

can anyone recommend an area within about 30 minutes train commute from Glasgow as a base for the commonwealth games?

thanks

14 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 236
1. Re: just outside Glasgow

How about Prestwick? OK, its about 45 Minutes out of Glasgow but the trains run about 4 times an hour throughout the day. Prestwick is also a pleasant enough spot (small seaside town) to wind down at the end of a busy day, and has some very decent B&Bs, small hotels, restaurants and independent shops.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186575-Prestwick_S…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186575-Prestwick_S…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g186575-Prestw…

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
2. Re: just outside Glasgow

East Kilbride, Hamilton, Motherwell, Paisley, Falkirk, I could come up with more!!!

I recently read that approx 40% of the population of Scotland live within a 40 mile radius of Glasgow.

Couple that with the largest suburban rail network outside London in the UK and there are loads of places within 30 mins travel of Glasgow and with services of typically 30-60 mins frequency there are loads of places you could base yourself in.

I have said it before on here, think outside the box when it comes to next years Games!

Have you been lucky in the ballot for tickets, it was on the news tonight they are sending out the E-mails of who was successful!!

Blackpool
3. Re: just outside Glasgow

thanks both Prestwick sounds nice.

yes have been successful for 1 of the athletics days! im thinking totally outside of the box as not paying the prices average hotels in glasgow are seeking.....although who can blame them someone will pay it!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
4. Re: just outside Glasgow

I agree with Purple in Prestwick, a wee favourite of mine to escape down to on a nice day for a walk along the front and a spot of lunch.

In fact you could include nearby Ayr, Troon or Irvine on the same train line with Ayr being 55 mins max at around £9 off peak return.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
5. Re: just outside Glasgow

Try this for an idea, look at hotels, B&B's etc within 30 miles then go on to the Scotrail site to see how the trains match up!

www.scotrail.co.uk

Or alternatively to include buses also the following.

www.travelinescotland.com

The latter has a route planner.

Blackpool
6. Re: just outside Glasgow

thanks thats what ive been trying to do and im just going website blind now and i have 6 people to try and please! so many options! thanks for the advice and hopefully we will have a good games. appreciate your time

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 236
7. Re: just outside Glasgow

If you are a family group you can potentially save money on trains to and from Glasgow in the strathclyde area by purchasing a discovery ticket. It also covers use of the subway and many buses. The discovery ticket details can be found via this link: http://www.spt.co.uk/travelcards/day-tickets/

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
8. Re: just outside Glasgow

No problem, if we can help you as much as possible.

Unlike last time in Delhi everything is ready right now, so we will have a great Games.

Greenock, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: just outside Glasgow

What I will say is just to be careful in terms of where you want to stay. A number of competitiors will be arriving in Scotland prior to the games and training in certain areas so you might find certain locations might be that bit expensive so try a few areas. i.e. Stirling I undserstand will be hosting a couple of countries.

Blackpool
10. Re: just outside Glasgow

thanks for the tip Ian. If all else fails we have a tent!

Reply to: just outside Glasgow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted