We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester
reviews: 7
places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Not knowing the area around glasgow at all I am hoping for some suggestions. We have got some tickets for the commonwealth games and are thinking of hiring somewhere for a week and communting in for the day we have tickets for. We would like an area that has access (short drive is fine) to beaches and a couple good pubs or restaurants. The area is so big I would appreciate any help to narrow it down

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 45
1. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Tarbet (Loch Lomond) or nearby Arrochar might suit you. There's even a (somewhat infrequent) train service!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
2. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

See the other post "just outside Glasgow" for Purples and My answers!

Similar question to yours with good suggestions although if it coastal you are looking for then the Ayrshire Coast would suit.

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 119
3. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Edinburgh has everything you are looking for

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
4. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Beaches - in Edinburgh??

Loch Lomond
reviews: 113
5. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Loch Lomond would be a good choice but IMO Tarbet and Arrochar are too far out and too isolated. Places like Balloch at the South end of Loch Lomond would be better good choice. You can drive into town within 30 minutes and the village is well supported with accommodation, pubs, restaurants and shops. Balloch also has an electric train service into town with trains every thirty minutes if you want a break from driving,

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 119
6. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Portobello beach is in Edinburgh over 1 mile of golden sand with great promenade. Cramond beach and Island another nice 1 mile long clean beach in Edinburgh which has be a popular resort since roman times

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
7. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

OP asked for places 1 hour away from Glasgow. Tarbet and Arrochar fit that description. I can get there easily in an hour, and I'm no boy racer! Arrochar also has a good pub, though it's not a good area for beaches.

Loch Lomond
reviews: 113
8. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Tarbet has no restaurants, no pubs and just one hotel, which is owned by Shearings, the bus touring company. It is used mostly by them for bus parties. There is one little tearoom that closes at 3pm. Arrochar has a couple of hotels and restaurants but you would only drive to Glasgow in one hour from there if traffic conditions were favourable. I am not decrying either of these places, they are nice and I stay just down the road but I honestly don't think they are what the OP is looking for.

Actually if the requirement for beaches (as in by the seaside) is a deal breaker then the Ayrshire coast is the only real answer with nice beaches at Ayr, Prestwick and Troon. These are all an easy hour's drive from Glasgow.

Chester
reviews: 7
9. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

Thanks for the suggestions. Ayr or prestwick sound good with the option for trains in for the day session we have tickets for. We have two small children so a beach would be good but we would also like to have an explore of the area. Best start looking for somewhere to stay now!

10. Re: places to stay 1 hr away from Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, October 03, 2014