We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
earth
reviews: 65
Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

We are planning to fly in to Glasgow Airport at 6pm on a Monday evening. Our final destination is Skye, but we feel that driving from 6pm - 11pm is too much this day. If we don't stay in Glasgow, what are our accommodation options along the way? We thought of driving for 1-1.5 hours (before sunset) from Glasgow airport, and continue the rest of the journey on Tuesday morning.

16 replies to this topic
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
1. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

What time of the year to determine sunset?

If not summer it can get dark really early here.

e.g. 4pm mid December!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Maybe a B&B in Crianlarich about an hour from the airport. You won't find many large hotels en route so a small guest house or hotel would be your best bet. If you wanted to drive a bit further then maybe past Glencoe at Ballachulish.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 76
3. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

or (a *short* first evening) somewhere on Loch Lomond (Balloch, Luss, Tarbet). A range of B&Bs and hotels to suit whatever your budget is - and good views to look at from the lochside.

There are also places t stop at past Crianlarich - Tyndrum, then the Kingshouse Hotel just short of Glencoe, then the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe, before you reach Ballachulish.

Balloch: 30 mins

Tarbet: 50 mins

Crianlarich: just over an hour

Tyndrum: 1 h 15

Kingshouse, Clachaig - 1 h 45

Glencoe, Ballachulish: 2 hours

Fresh off a plane you should look at short rather than long ... but I'd stop somewhere with views and that means Loch Lomond (personal opinion obviously)

Scotland
reviews: 129
4. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Oban, whilst being off the road to Skye by another hour on your allotted timeframe, has some nice hotels and equally stunning scenery to the islands ?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 40
5. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Good suggestions from 2 and 3 above, although I wouldn't go as far as Glencoe or Ballachulish. And don't go via Oban - it's miles out of your way!

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 194
6. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

I'd have a stop at Tarbert myself. Lovely little place, unless it's changed an awful lot in the last few years!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
reviews: 40
7. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Good idea - but not THAT Tarbert! This one is on Loch Lomond and it's spelt Tarbet.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 53
8. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

I wonder how many drivers choose "TARBERT" on their GPS and end up hundreds of miles from where they intended to be?

earth
reviews: 65
9. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful!

madscotsman115: I'm going in October, so sunset is about 7pm, or so says the Internet...

Scotland
reviews: 17
10. Re: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye

Definitely save going through Glencoe for daytime. Arrochar (two miles west of Tarbet) also has some hotels.

Or, you could loop eastwards and go through Stirling (40 minutes) / Callander (1 hour), many accommodation options.

Reply to: Place to stay from Glasgow to Skye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted