We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Glasgow

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 2
Weekend in Glasgow

My friend and I (both female in 40's) have booked our travel and accommodation to come up to Glasgow for two nights in September over the weekend.

We would love to visit some lively fun places appropriate to our age, live music would be good, and an early evening nice meal. We are looking to have fun but we do not want to end up in places our kids would go to. Can anybody recommend a little tour for us please.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Liz

Glasgow
reviews: 37
1. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

Gumbo on Byres Road always have blues/soul/funk/jazz bands on at the weekends, they also do really good American southern style bar food. Oran Mor, also on Byres Road, could be worth checking out to see what they have on the weekend you are visiting. In general the customers in bars in the west end (Byres Road, Ashton Lane, Great Western Road, Gibson Street) are a wide range of ages from 19 to 60 it's the most lively and cosmopolitan are I would say so you'll always find a good mix of people.

Another option is the Merchant City, lots of bars and restaurants all within a couple of blocks. Blackfriars on Bell Street regularly has live music in it's basement ranging from acoustic nights to Northern soul to ska nights and everything in between.

Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

I would head up the West End. Oran Mor is a great shout. It has a great bar and also a nightclub if you feel like heading there later. Its quite classy and has an older clientelle than Sauciehall Street for example.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

I am also a 40 year old female. I like the Merchant City. There are lots of nice pubs such as Metropolitan, One Up, Citation and O'Neils (they usually have a band on Friday/Saturday nights). The Corinthian and Arta are clubs which I am sure you would like. There are also a few nice restaurants in the area depending on your budget and taste.

reviews: 9
4. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

Where will you be staying? Might influence people's recommendations.

Hamilton, United...
reviews: 27
5. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

Maggie May's meets your requirements for both food and live music as well as being age appropriate. They have a website which will give you an idea of what bands are on and what the food is like. It's also just around the corner from merchant city so you have options if you don't want to stay in the same place all night. Alternatively the piper on George Square would suit and is also in a nice central location.

6. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

Thank you for your suggestions. Lots to try. We are arriving on Friday. I for one cannot wait and thanks for your replies.

One last question. Is there anywhere age appropriate for a bit of a bop? Sad I know but I don't get out much ;-)

Eilish

London, United...
reviews: 77
7. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

Merchant city has great atmosphere good bars and eateries

8. Re: Weekend in Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 26, 2014