We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Hi guys, I have shortlisted a few places below for my daughters graduation meal next week (Thursday) so I need to get something booked. She wanted somewhere with good Scottish food so they all conform to that, all are highly recommended on TA and I have read the revues and gone through the menu's so that is sorted.

Just really wanted to know if anyone has eaten in these what the general ambience is like. She was looking for some place not too stuffy or formal with a nice atmosphere. I didn't want to go for anything too stark and minimalistic.

This is for an evening meal btw as she is at Stirling Uni but her mother (my ex) lives in Glasgow Harbour near the new Transport Museum but anywhere west end or city centre would be ok.

I really like the look of the Bothy. Cost not really a factor, within reason, as bank of Dad will be present to pay (yes with my ex there will be fun!! Things we do for our kids LOL).

Appreciate your input folks and if you have a hidden gem which you would like to share then please do. Thanks.

Number 16, Bottom of Byres Road. http://number16.co.uk/

Fanny Trollops, 1066 Argyle Street. http://www.fannytrollopes.co.uk/

Guys http://www.guysrestaurant.co.uk/

Cail Bruich http://www.cailbruich.co.uk/

The Bothy http://www.bothyglasgow.co.uk/menus

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 236
1. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Big congrats to your daughter Ronaldo!. I've been doing the same hunt for graduation meal venue and have provisionally booked La Vallee blanche on Byres Road because we've had a few happy celebration meals there before, but from your list I would find it hard to pick on one as they all have great reputations! So to sum up, I'm no help whatsoever. Number 16 is tiny though, so you might want to check availability as that might help rule it in or out of the equation.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
2. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Thanks PC. There's only gonna be five of us so space should not be a problem. La Vallee blanche looks nice, quite a simple menu though. It does seem that most of the best Scottish places are near Byres road but that is not a problem as I like the area and it's close to my ex's apartment. I really like the look at the Bothy but I am letting her chose. Mind you I have short-listed what looks like some really good places.

So who are you booking your meal for?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 236
3. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

I think you are wise to let her choose from the shortlist! We may yet change our choice of venue but at least we have a back-up. Don't want to have to walk far from the ceremony. Never been to the Bothy but always fancied it. One of my kids is graduating too. Oh the relief!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

LOL my shortlist was rejected. Seems Citation or the Red Onion are more up her street. Kids are impossible to read indeed!!

UK
reviews: 94
5. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

My choice from your original list would have been Guy's Restaurant with No. 16 as second choice. From your daughter's list, Red Onion.

Enjoy!

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 43
6. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

You cannot go wrong with the Red Onion. Great food.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Thanks. Yep, Guys or the Bothy would have been my choice but you know 20 year olds know much better ;-)

Looking at the reviews of Red Onion and the caustic managerial replies I don't think we will be going there

Glasgow
reviews: 20
8. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

RonaldoC

Cannot vouch for the Bothy as never been in it. But by far the best restaurant on Byres Road / West End is La Vallee Blance in my honest opinion. There are aways specials on the board and if you don't fancy anything from Menu they will rustle you up something. Obviously not Scottish but first class atmosphere / service without being overly stuffy.

No 16 is next on my list...and usually do a Lot of Graduation lunches.....and been in for dinner here too on many occassions. Only has about 20 covers. Never been disappointed here either.

Red Onion was just OK and would be a last resort if above 2 had no tables.

Edited: 8:47 pm, June 19, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
9. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Thanks. I booked a table at Citation in the end at the request of my daughter so hope it will be ok. Only thing is that I made an online booking for 19:15 and they stated that they would need the table back by 21:15. I would not really be too happy about this after spending the best part of 200 quid on dinner. Does anyone have any experience of this at Citation. Do they really take the table back (on a Thursday evening btw)?

Meant to call them last evening but forgot. maybe try again today when they open for lunch.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 43
10. Re: Recommendations for a graduation meal please.

Good choice with Citation! I actually forgot about that restaurant but I've eaten there many times and in sure you won't be disappointed. I would just phone ahead and explain the situation and in sure they will accommodate.