We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 1
Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Hi!

There are very different opinions and information about how to best get from Glasgow City to Edinburgh Airport.

I found two options that seem to make sense - if I understood them correctly.

Either take the Bus from Glsagow Buchanan St to Maybury (aprox. 1 h), then cross the street and take the Airport Bus (10-15 min.)

Or: Take the Train to Haymarket Station (1h20min), then take the airport bus (30 min)

The first options seems faster, but is it complicated or not reliable if you don't know the city? The second takes longer obviously but is cheaper as we have a freedom of scotland railway pass.

Can you tell me if my informations ar correct and help me with this decision please. Which way to go makes more sense? We are a family of four with for big backpacks.

Thank you very much!

24 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

The fastest train from Glasgow to Haymarket takes 46 minutes, get the train from Glasgow Queen street High level. Trains from Glasgow Central or Queen Street Low level are slower and come can indeed take about 1hr20min.

Any train journey will involve doubling back to the airport but the train to bus connection will be easier than crossing the road carrying a load of luggage and since you have the Freedom of Scotland Travelpass you will only need to pay the £3.50 adult/£2 child bus fare for each person.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
2. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

As above but also the time for the bus from Haymarket to the airport seems a tad to long at 30 mins

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 1
3. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Thank you very much! I didn't know, that the train ride from Queen Street is faster than from central station, which is great, because our hotel is just a 3 min walk from Queen Street. I know now what to do, thanks to you :-)

Edinburgh
reviews: 12
4. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Easier option citylink bus to Ratho get off and at same bus stop change to 747 Which takes u right into airport

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
5. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

There is actually 4 train routes between the 2 Cities however the default one is Queen St (high level) to Edinburgh Waverley at only 47 mins with 3-4 trains per hour most of the day.

Chicago
reviews: 27
6. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Hi, thank you for starting this thread! I was just going to post the same for my daughter. I had thought the 500 bus from Buchanan Bus station was the recommended route. It seems there are many ways. What is the cheapest? Also, does anyone know the cost of the bus trip to the airport. I had read on another thread that exact change was required, but they didn't know what the amount was. I looked at bus website and couldn't find it there.

Thank you!

London
reviews: 34
7. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

The 500 is the bus to GLASGOW Airport, not Edinburgh.

Glasgow, United...
8. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

travelcrazy58 - There is no direct public transport, bus or otherwise from Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport. You need to either get 2 buses or get a train to Edinburgh then catch the airport bus.

Edited: 11:55 am, June 17, 2013
Chicago
reviews: 27
9. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Misread the title. Well post a new one. N

Glasgow, United...
10. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?

Citylink are starting a direct bus to Edinburgh Airport from July 1st with fares starting from £10.

http://www.citylink.co.uk/citylinkair.php

Reply to: Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport - Bus or Train?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted