We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transit or local taxi?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Public transit or local taxi?

We will be spending one night in Glasgow at the start of July staying at an airport hotel I plan to visit my old hometown of Rutherglen. Is it easier or cheaper to get there by taxi ,or by airport bus to the city centre then local bus to Rutherglen? What would be the approximate cost for each--I am travelling with my husband. How long might the journey be?

We will be returning later to Glasgow and staying at the Marriott. I plan to visit family in Newton Mearns? Again, taxi or local bus? Any idea of the costs?

Do your taxis charge per person for the fares or by the meter?

Thanks.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
1. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

First of all taxis are metered per cab regardless of how many passengers are conveyed.

Yes taxi would be easiest however a cab from the airport to Rutherglen would be around £30 with another back to the city centre around £12 so that is approx £40-45 on your first day!!

Next day out to the Mearns and back and you are looking at almost £30!!

So that is a lot of money on taxis alone.

The airport express bus (500) takes 20 mins to the city centre and costs £6 each or £8 return, however the ticket is good for all day travel over the rest of Firstbus's Glasgow network so you could get to Rutherglen and back for only £6 each.

Next day buy a Firstday ticket for £4 each for unlimited travel out to the Mearns and back.

So as can be seen it is a significant difference.

Check out www.travelinescotland.com for journey planner and timetables.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
2. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

Taxi to Rutherglen from the airport will be around £20 to £25 same the way back. No they don't charge per person, they charge per mile.

Sorry MS, our posts crossed

Edited: 9:15 pm, June 07, 2013
Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

Thanks for that info---it seems like the local transit is by far the cheapest!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
4. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

Reading your post again it looks like you are returning to the airport the first night.

Therefore you will need the £8 return ticket for the 500 and a £6 single the next day to get into the city centre but remember both tickets are good for the rest of the day on all Firstbus services.

London, United...
reviews: 48
5. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

For Newton Mearns, consider getting the train rather than a bus. The station at Whitecraigs, on the Neilson line is in Newton Mearns.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
reviews: 26
6. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

Last post on trains is a bit confusing. The end of the line is Neilston, but the trains go from Glasgow Central. It depends on where in Newton Mearns you are visiting if the train is a good option. Whitecraigs station would be the choice for certain parts of Newton Mearns, Patterton station (the next stop) for others. You could need a taxi from either.

Your local friends could suggest a local private hire taxi firm for Newton Mearns-the costs are very reasonable.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
7. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

Yep would agree that it depends where in the Mearns you are headed.

Whitecraigs is down at Rouken Glen Park and Patterton is more a "park and ride" station these days to cater for the massive housing explosion that has sprung up around the edges of Newton Mearns.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 46
8. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

I'll be honest to a tourist: I'd avoid the buses and try and get a train if possible, even if it involves a short taxi ride. The buses certainly aren't the best.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
9. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

Stu could you define not the best?

A tourist might take that as being the buses are ramshackle and poorly driven like you see in certain other Countries?

This is hardly indicative of the buses of the main operators which are modern and well maintained, I agree that some areas at night have low levels of service but this won't really affect tourists in general.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 46
10. Re: Public transit or local taxi?

By not the best I mean;

A bit dirty.

Some of the clientele wouldn't be the kind of people I would want tourists associating with Glasgow.

A bit uncomfortable.

Take long routes for what can be a short journey.

I'm sure this isn't true for all routes but I would like any tourists to see the best of my country and the Glasgow buses certainly aren't that!