We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Starkville...
reviews: 21
Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Hi, I am trying to book rail tickets from Inverness to Glasgw. There are several offers. The cheapest option is "Sun Reader offer", valid with collectable vouchers only. What does this mean? I am a tourist. Is this option available to me or certain group only? I would appreciate your expert advice. Thanks so much.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 64
1. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

The S*n is a rag, I mean newspaper (supposedly!).

It's obviously a "reader offer" for people who collect those vouchers.

What website are you looking on?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 198
2. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Where did you see that offer? Sounds like via The Sun newspaper, so if you're not in Scotland it probably wont be applicable to you. Best to just try and book around 3 months ahead for best deals, travel off peak (after 930 am) etc.

Have a look here scotrail.co.uk/content/which-ticket-is-right…

If its less than 3 months from now, book soon as possible.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
3. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Unless you are buying an Advance Single, which is valid on booked train only, there is usually no financial advantage to buying before the day of travel. Having a seat reservation is handy, but you can get that at least 2 hours before the train departs its origin.

Starkville...
4. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Thank you all helpful experts for your quick response and clarifying this offer for me. I indeed found the offer on the scotrail online booking website. I am glad that I asked first.

Bobolinks, "Unless you are buying an Advance Single, which is valid on booked train only, there is usually no financial advantage to buying before the day of travel"

KR-Edinburgh, "Best to just try and book around 3 months ahead for best deals, travel off peak (after 930 am) etc"

I am kind of confused by what you said. Should I buy 3 month before hand to get the best deal or Should I wait on the day of travel and still get the saver tickets? The tickets I need are very specific: Thursday 5:30pm train to Glasgow. In my case, which way makes more sense? Thank you in advance fr your advice.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
5. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

An "Advance Single" is valid for booked train only. They are released about 12 weeks before travel, at various fare steps for each route, and the cheapest fares for each route sell out first (and sometimes very quickly). Advance Single range from £11.30 - £21.90. However, if there are still any left, you can buy them up to 6pm the day before travel. But remember, very little flexibility, if you don't travel on the booked train you must buy another ticket.

Almost any other ticket type, such as Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, will cost the same on the day of travel as buying in advance. They're valid on any permitted train within their time restriction. £47 Anytime Day Single Via Aviemore. I can't see any Off-Peak tickets through to Glasgow.

So if you are certain which train you want then you can save a lot of money with the Advance.

Starkville...
6. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Bobelinks---well said. Now I understand totally. Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed explanation. You all are so kind to help. I cannot thank you enough.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
7. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

Rail pricing and ticketing in the UK is complicated which is a shame really as on the whole rail travel is excellent.

Bobelinks is our resident expert on this subject so go with his advice.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
8. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

I wouldn't go quite that far, but thank you.

Greenock, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

OP. I checked your profile and noticed that you're in the 50-64 age category. There is a promotion via Scotrail called Club55. If you are over 55 and travelling over a period of time then you could get that?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55

10. Re: Please help me with Scotrail ticket purchase!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 16, 2014