We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow this summer

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
reviews: 30
Glasgow this summer

Hi,

My wife and I are just getting started on planning our trip next July for our 20th wedding anniversary The planning has been a lot of fun so far. I've been reading Tripadvisor and the Glasgow forum for the last few months and love the all the great advice. Our plan currently begins with us arriving from Vancouver in Glasgow the 3rd of July and staying until the 7th before heading down to London. I have booked 4 nights at the Sherbrooke Castle Hotel and have scheduled 1 day for a Scotland Day Tour and another for Kelvingrove Gallery. This leaves us with two full days yet to account for. What are your must do's for filling these two days keeping in mind my wife's desire for a real Scottish experience :). Keep in mind that one of them will be the day we land at 9:45 am. I suspect we will be a little tired so nothing to strenuous that day.

Regards

Dave

PS. I'll probably have a lot more questions coming up. Thanks for the help :)

Edited: 4:22 pm, December 02, 2012
Langley City, Canada
reviews: 30
41. Re: Glasgow this summer

Wow all this fantastic info is great. Galleries and castles during the day sprinkled with shopping on Buchanan St . seems to be the plan. What about the evenings,being close to 50 and not heavy drinkers we are not night club people. Any suggestions on that part?

Edited: 6:45 pm, December 30, 2012
Loch Lomond
reviews: 102
42. Re: Glasgow this summer

Well, like all cities there is a theatre and live music scene in Glasgow. The List is a good place to see what's on. http://www.list.co.uk

Glasgow also has many wonderful restaurants, from fast food and cheap buffet style eateries to fins dining. If you tell us what you like we can advise?

Edited: 4:30 am, December 31, 2012
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
43. Re: Glasgow this summer

There is live music and theatre to be enjoyed all over glasgow, and its not just for the young crowd. There are a number of traditional pubs around the west end where you are likely to catch a session of fiddle/celtic/highlands& island music being played. Many of the pubs and venues are active on Facebook making it easier to follow what's happening - if you have Facebook of course:)

Also Glasgow has a some decent theatres often featuring top class touring shows from London's West End at a fraction of London prices. Another evening option open to you is catching a movie at one of my favourite and charming 'old fashioned' cinemas, The Grosvenor Cinema in Ashton Lane, West End or the GFT (Glasgow Film Theatre) off Sauchiehall Street in the city centre.

Details of events at all of the above feature in The List via the link Alex provided. This will also get you linked to the venue websites themselves.

Edited: 8:25 am, December 31, 2012
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 49
44. Re: Glasgow this summer

For shopping in Glasgow, Buchanan Street is excellent. Mostly high end designer shops like Diesel, Armani etc and Princes Square is the same which is just off Buchanan St.

45. Re: Glasgow this summer

Dave, I live not far from Sherbrooke Castle.

If you enjoy walking there is a very nice walk through Maxwell Park to Pollok Park. As well as the Burrell Collection the park is also home to Pollok House and a fantastic herd of Highland Cattle. If you go don't forget to visit the hidden gardens behind Pollok House. By are simply wonderful and so quiet.

There's not much highlife around you hotel, but if you are looking for nice restaurants in the area I can recommend Cookie's on Nithsdale Road (about 5 minutes by taxi) or best of all The Greek Golden Kebab in Sinclair Drive. Don't let the Kebab bit put you off. They serve authentic Greek/Cypriot cuisine which is wonderful.

As other's have said you are not far from Bellahouston Park and the House for an Art Lover (another good place for food).

By the way if you are planning to visit Edinburgh, and I hope you do, East Coast Trains have now been replaced on the Glasgow Central to Edinburgh route by Cross Country Trains apart from one train a day. Scotrail also have the Caledonian Express from Central to Edinburgh which is a nice way travel - much quieter than the more popular Glasgow Queen Street service.

Happy travelling

46. Re: Glasgow this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 17, 2014