We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ayr, United Kingdom
Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

Beware using "Flying Scot Parking" at Glasgow Airport.

I parked my car while on holiday to Turkey, I left my 3yr old Astra in perfect condition and when I returned at 330am in the pouring rain the car was in the dark and my car was parked millimeters from another in the row, had trouble getting into the car without hitting the brand new TT parked next to me. We put our luggage in the boot and drove home to ayrshire as we were cold and our two young children were tired.

We parked our car outside our house and in the daylight when we went to empty the boot noticed the car had been reversed into a pole as the lower park of the bumper was twisted and bashed. I called straight away to report the damage and spoke to a manageress who not only refused to give her name said "tough" as we had not reported it at the time.

Reported to the police who requested the CCTV tapes to be told we only keep them for 48hours so they dont have the images of the car driving in with no damage. My insurance company is now suing them to recover the cost so if you do use them demand they give you a written report on the condition of your car (like hire companies do) and on your return go over your car with a fine tooth comb. Its clear they do not give a dam about the cars in their care as their drivers are treating them like dodgem cars.

48 replies to this topic
Ayr, United Kingdom
1. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

Update... I have now found out that the manageress was called DOT.

*** BEWARE ***

There is no shortage of Long stay companies at Glasgow Airport, do not leave your car with Flying Scot if you expect it to be treated with care.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
2. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

I am always a bit wary of ones where you leave the keys with them and remember these hotel and park deals are the same, you just don't know who is going to park your car and how many times an hour are they parking so they probably don't take much care

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
3. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

That sounds like a nasty experience indeed. I hope they see sense and take responsibility. I would never in a million years use that kind of company. My car is currently at glasgow airport long stay where i always keep it when flying out. I will be sure to give it a good looking over when I return. Do keep us updated as to your progress. I´m sure plenty will be reading your thead.

Good luck!

ps have you contacted trading standards. its often the case that troublesome companies that operate in this way have some kind of record built up with trading standards so well worth speaking to them too.

Ayr, United Kingdom
4. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

I will contact trading standards, its what the police suggested. Im also going to request the details of their Public Liability Insurance.Its ridiculous (or just convenient) that they only claim to keep CCTV for 48hrs. What would they do if someones car was broken into during their long stay - they wouldnt be able to look into it. At the end of the day my insurance company will fleece them but Im hoping these comments here will warn people not to use them as their attitude, customer service (and apparently) security is a joke.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

My famliy and I have used Flying Scot more times than I can remember. I normally park with them at Edinburgh but my family use them at Glasgow. Never ever had a problem and as far as I am concerned they are a good parking company.

Sorry you seem to have had a bad experience and I have no interest in this company whatsoever..

I am a bit surprised the police got involved in this as it is a civil matter on private property.

Edited: 5:00 am, October 05, 2012
Ayr, United Kingdom
6. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

There will always be people who are lucky, and i am glad you seem to have been one of them so far.

However the facts remain...

1. They dont hold CCTV footage longer than 48hrs - useless if your car is damaged or broken in during a longer stay.

2. They park cars in rows a few inches apart, you have to pray that the person with the old bashed car (or company that they dont care about) parked next to you doesnt come home before you - because your door panels are gonna get destroyed while they try to get into their car. Unless they have a hatchback and go in thru the boot.

3. Its certainly not a civil matter, the police have treated it as vandalism, and given me a crime reference number. As i have CCTV from my car in a garage 5mins before I left the car with them showing no damage, my car has been damaged while in their care. At best they are in breach of their duty of care - however as DOT told me it was nothing to with them it is being treated as wilfill damage to my property. I have no doubt my insurance company will spend their vast wealth recovering the cost of the damage from them, and as vandalism - no XS.

4. Funnily enough when I spoke to the trading standards and mentioned the companies name the girl on the phone said "Oh them again" I think that alone says it all.

5. If you read the companies T&Cs (they will probably change them now) you will see they try to hide behind the Unfair Contract Terms Act of 1977. They havent even got the sense to realise this is an act that only applies to England, Northern Ireland and Wales, this as a Scottish company (if it is actually a legit company) dealing in scotland. Scotland has a seperate legal system. Trading standards joked that they probably cut n pasted it from an English Airport Parking Company.

There are many more parking providers in Glasgow, and like you I have no connection with any ot them, as i said earlier be warned. This is my experience - and by the sounds of things from the trading standards - I am not alone having problems with "Flying Scot Glasgow"

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
7. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

Nigel, are you by any chance from a rival parking company?

You are going into far to much detail for my liking with your legal speak, and how did you manage to get hold of cctv footage from a garage 5 mins before you parked? anybody who knows the regulations around the viewing and distribution of recorded images will tell you that you just could not have got those so easily.

Also trading standards would not commit themselves so readily with the comments you say they have made.

Providing they have put signs up which are prominent stating along the lines of "cars left at owners liabilty" then they have covered themselves and why would you come out with a statement like your insurance company will use their vast wealth to pursue them!!!

Something not right with this one?

Ayr, United Kingdom
8. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

madscotsman...

If I HAD worked for a "Rival Parking Company" I would have recommended them, unless you feel i am part of an industry wide campaign against Flying Scot Parking at Glasgow Airport. You seem almost a bit keen to defend Flying Scot. do YOU work for them? - if so I am happy to email you my Parking reference number (which will give my contact details) and continue this discussion to pay for the damage privately.

The "legal speak" you talk about is simply me reading the T&Cs, but yes I do have a certain training in reading these things. Because the incident was reported to Strathclyde Police they have logged the incident and provided me with a crime reference number (damage to my property while under the care of Flying Scot.) they have been excellent and have updated me with the progress of their enquiry. The police advised my to contact trading standards, I have also reported the company to BBC Watchdog due to the shoddy treatment they have given me.

Police ARE allowed to request CCTV footage while investigating crimes and the Data Prevention Act does not apply in this case. It was Flying Scot that (rather convieniently) told the police they couldnt say who damaged my car as, quote... "They dont hold CCTV footage longer than 48hrs"

Maybe you should re-read my posting again as nowhere did i mention that Trading standards had made any commitment, i did however quote the comments made when I reported the incident to them.

The purpose of "Trip Advisor" is to allow people to share their experiences with others, sometimes those experiences are bad experiences. I hope that anyone reading this will read about my experience with "Flying Scot Parking at Glasgow Airport" and avoid a similar experience. I am happy that this thread will be cached by google and will show up in the future when anyone does a search for parking at Glasgow Airport with Flying Scot.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
9. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

The regulars on here know i do not work for flying scot parking and if you re read my original post i said i had reservations about this kind of parking set up whereby you let them park for you.

The point i was making was you are labouring the point in going on about in great detail, you have a CR and your insurance will reimburse you at no cost to you (excess) so why keep on banging on about it.

Oh and by the way i have forgotten more about the Data Protection Act and the use of cctv than i care to remember.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
10. Re: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.

So if they only keep the CCTV for 48 hours then did they have any video of you leaving? I would have thought the one place they have covered by cameras would be the exit so can you see damage on the rear of your vehicle. Then you could at least prove you didn’t do this on the way home.

So did the police request the CCTV from the garage as I doubt they would just hand it over to you? I have to say that you are getting excellent service from Strathclyde Police for what amounts to a small amount of damage to a bumper which evidentially may or may not have taken place after you parked the car.

Also having video 5 mins before you dropped off the car still does not prove anything. I am not having a go at you about this but to be honest your story does not add up

Reply to: Flying Scot Glasgow Airport.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted