We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow or Elsewhere

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Glasgow or Elsewhere

Hi,

I was wondering if I flew into Glasgow Prestwick would you recommend staying in Glasgow or is there anywhere else you would recommend to stay within a 1 hour drive.

Also, if I were to stay in Glasgow could you recommend anywhere for a day trip within a 1 hour drive.

Many thanks.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 18
1. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

It all depends why you're coming and what you want to see and do.

We don't know anything about you. A bit of information would help

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

In the absence of that helpful information, Loch Lomond is nice for a quick day-trip. You can also drive to Wemyss Bay and get the ferry to Rothesay, and tour around Bute - that is a good day-out.

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

Sorry guys. Going for a short break with my wife and 2 kids in October.

Ayr, United Kingdom
4. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

You could always stay in Prestwick. It's got a good beach with a car free promenade and lots of nice places within a one-hour drive - Ayr, Dunure, Culzean Castle to the south, Largs to the north, and that's without leaving Ayrshire. Glasgow is within an hour's drive or easily reached by bus or train.

UK
reviews: 5
5. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

I'd recommend you stay in Glasgow :) You say you're on a short break, did you have somewhere you wanted to visit in mind or did you just grab a flight? If you're undecided, I think Glasgow' a great option. Plenty to do and options for days out as mentioned by the posters above. How long will you be visiting for?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
6. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

For kids in Glasgow I would recommend the Science Centre (charges) and the Transport museum (Free) in particular. http://www.gsc.org.uk/ glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/…default.aspx

Both indoors too as weather in October can often be wet and dreary!

Dublin, Ireland
7. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

Thanks all for your advice.

Hope to visit for 3 nights.

Loch Lomond
reviews: 102
8. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

If it is cities that you like then Glasgow is the best option. There's more than enough to keep everyone happy there. If you like countryside then you may want to consider staying by Loch Lomond, which also has lots of attractions as well as the scenery.

With the new M77 motorway link through Ayrshire, Balloch, at the southern end of Loch Lomond, is not much more than an hour's drive.

Edited: 7:47 am, October 01, 2012
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

What age are the kids?

A great option for them (and maybe their parents too!) is the Snow Factor at Braehead, just 10 minutes from the city centre.

http://www.snowfactor.com/

10. Re: Glasgow or Elsewhere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 14, 2013