We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Lane Warning

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
Bus Lane Warning

Just a wee reminder to any visitors to the City who intend to arrive or get around by Car!

The Council have now installed and switched on the cameras observing the bus lanes and gates.

There is a months grace period whereby if you are caught you will be notified but not fined, after April 23rd you will be sent a £60 fine!!

Not all the bus lanes have cameras, but they are easy to spot as they are qiute small and in a fixed position either as you enter a bus lane or sometimes as you come to the end of one.

To be on the safe side it is best to not use them as it could prove expensive and they are clearly marked.

As the advertising slogan says "Avoid the fine, don't cross the line"

125 replies to this topic
goa
reviews: 57
1. Re: Bus Lane Warning

Is this just a money making exercise, or are the lanes constantly abused by drivers.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Bus Lane Warning

I suspect the former! I dinlt see a huge amount of evidence of abuse on my travles - though madscotsman will have a bettr perspevctive.

The Council have had there wardens out over the last four sundays in the west end 'surveying' inappropriately parked cars, but not giving out tickets.

No doubt working out whether they would recoup enough cash to employ a couple of extra wardnes on a Sunday morning....

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
3. Re: Bus Lane Warning

On my travels, I clock up around a 1000 miles a week around the city, you do see the odd driver going through the lanes, but it is not that bad, so i suspect it will generate revenue, the biggest hot spots are the bus gate at Hope St (Grand Central Hotel) and the bridge over Queen St Station (weak bridge) whereby no other cars are allowed at all.

Helensburgh, United...
reviews: 75
4. Re: Bus Lane Warning

Friend at work got stopped and fined by Traffikpolizei at corner of George Square turning left trying to get to Caledonian Uni. Must admit, I did not realise that this was for buses (and taxis?) only.

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 5
5. Re: Bus Lane Warning

Thanks for the advice. I hire a car when I come from Egypt and the last time I drove under the Heilan Man's Umbrella and was stopped by the police. I didn't notice the traffic sign. He was very nice when I told him I was not living here (originally from Paisley32 years ago) and he told me to go quickly and take the turning to my right. Will watch out more carefully when I am there in June.

Scotland
6. Re: Bus Lane Warning

they are doing the same in Edinburgh as well

glasgow
reviews: 2
7. Re: Bus Lane Warning

Does anyone know if there any time restrictions for the bus lanes in Glasgow (in particular West George Street intersecting with Hope Street). My son was coming home from work at 1am and he had to go into bus lane as the bin men were blocking the road on the left and there was a parked car on the right so he had to enter to get past. I hasten to add that after he done this he pulled back into correct lane. I just wonder what they would have had him too to overcome this problem. You would think that common sense would prevail, but I suppose revenue is revenue.

Hope someone cananswer before I send away an appeal.

Hoolahan.xx

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 5
8. Re: Bus Lane Warning

Unless it is a 24hr restriction I doubt there would be a problem at 1am.

Or do you mean 1pm? Funny time for bin lorry to be out at 1 in the morning?!

Edited: 1:08 pm, May 13, 2012
Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 83
9. Re: Bus Lane Warning

The problem is that these restrictions are only now being applied using cameras and have come as a big shock to the folks in Edinburgh and Glasgow. However green lanes have been common practice in other towns, especially England, and there have not been riots in the streets.

Each set of lanes is clearly marked with signs outlining restriction times. Generally they are morning and evening during rush hour five days a week. However the time vary a LOT and strangers need to pay attention to that.

One thought: how's the council going to collect your traffic fine when you've probably already gone home? I know in France they usually just rip up the paperwork because there's no point in pursuing it.

Just read the notices, folks, and relax. Just obey the rules like you'd do in most towns. Edinburgh folks (& Glasgow obviously) are making a big stooshie because they're used to not having to think about this one.

Helensburgh, United...
reviews: 75
10. Re: Bus Lane Warning

In Italy they don't give up so easily and just when you've almost forgotten all about your holiday, some 9 months later you get a letter in the post from Florence (and other leading Italian cities!) that you travelled in a RTZ (basically a restricted traffic area), Outcome - on a one day visit to the city, I got fines totalling 300 euros!!!

Reply to: Bus Lane Warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted