We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Glasgow day trip to Bute & Cowal

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 5
Trip Report: Glasgow day trip to Bute & Cowal

Did this trip last Friday with my daughter (7) and thought it might be of some interest to some visitors.

The timetables probably link up better on a Saturday and you aren't limited to travelling after 9am.

Bought Strathclyde daytripper ticket (www.spt.co.uk/tickets/daytripper.aspx) and got the train out from Glsagow Central to Wemyss Bay (lovely station) and walked straight down to pier to connect with the ferry to Rothesay (www.calmac.co.uk). On this calm sunny day the views were fantastic. On arrival in Rothesay it was a short walk to the bikeshed (www.thebikeshed.org.uk) where we hired a child and adult bikes (plus helmets) for a couple of hours. Headed towards Ascog as that was pretty flat and the pavement wide as daughter not confident about cycling on road.

Would liked to have had a game of putting but had made plans to get the bus (www.westcoastmotors.co.uk) to Dunoon which took us across the Colintraive ferry route to the "mainland". Quite a twisty single track road at times so happy to be on the bus and take in views.

On arrival at Dunoon had time get in a quick game of putting on the 9-hole course next to the ferry terminal.

A bonus was that the Waverley paddle steamer was leaving from Dunoon so we got to see that from our ferry on the journey to Gourock. Then train from Gourock back to Glasgow.

I think we could have bought an island hop-scotch ticket that would have been slightly cheaper but I chose to just get single ferry fares as that left the option staying longer in Rothesay and returning to Wemyss Bay. The daytripper ticket is not valid on the Rothesay to Dunoon bus service.

Scunthorpe, United...
1. Re: Trip Report: Glasgow day trip to Bute & Cowal

It sounds as if you had a lovely day out. Thanks for posting and reminding us of this as a possible day out.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 13
2. Re: Trip Report: Glasgow day trip to Bute & Cowal

Hi Smithy, yes the daytripper ticket is great value, remember using it years ago when my girls were young and with careful planning you can really get around.

One trip that is possible without further cost is this, Train to Gourock, ferry to Helensburgh, which when I done it was included on the ticket, train to Dalreoch and change to train to Balloch for Loch Lomond, then train back to Glasgow.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 5
3. Re: Trip Report: Glasgow day trip to Bute & Cowal

Yeh I considered doing the Kilcreggan ferry (www.spt.co.uk/ferry) route as the daytripper ticket is valid on it but opted instead for Bute as I like Rothesay (childhoold holidays and all that sentimental stuff!) and I'd never been to Dunoon before hence trip over to Cowal.

We'll save that for a different day out.

4. Re: Trip Report: Glasgow day trip to Bute & Cowal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2011