We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Trip Report

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex UK
reviews: 329
Glasgow Trip Report

Spent 3 days in Glasgow last week - my first trip. Travelled with Ryanair arriving in Prestwick in a snow storm but on time. Easy connection to Glasgow from Prestwick, took about 50 mins and currently costs £3.20 if you show your boarding card.

We stayed at the Bestwestern Glasgow City Hotel in Elmbank street, about a 20 min walk from Glasgow Central.

After dropping off our luggage we set about exploring. First thing that surprised me was how hilly Glasgow is. We went to the Tenement House, but didn't go in as we thought £5 each a bit expensive to see just 4 rooms and we were trying to do this trip as cheaply as possible. Next we went to the Glasgow School of Art (one of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's buildings), we had missed the last tour of the day so just poked our heads into the main entrance and had a quick look round. If you are interested in architecture and design the tour is probably well worth doing. We then went onto the City Chambers to do the free tour which lasted about 50 mins and was well worth doing as the building is fantastic inside.

For the evening we headed off to the Corinthian, and as it was a Thursday they were offering a selection of cocktails for £2 in their trendy Lite Bar, so we had a couple each. We then had dinner in the restaurant using our Times "eat out for £5 voucher" - I said we were trying to do it on the cheap! The food was great and fabulous value. We then headed off to the Scotia pub in time for the Vagabonds, who started playing at around 9.30. This turned out to be the best night out we have had in years. The band was good but the atmosphere in the pub was great and there were a couple of locals who had us in tears. One was a guy who looked like Ronnie Wood and had obviously had quite a bit to drink,so when the band played a Faces song he put on a bandana, climbed onto a table and started playing air guitar. Another guy, also quite drunk,jumped on a chair and joined him and everyone in the pub was singing along. I would go back to Glasgow just to go to this pub again on a Thursday night.

Next morning,slightly hung over we got up really early to do a Loch Ness and Highland tour. Although this was a bit of a whistle stop tour it was really great and the countryside was just fabulous covered in snow. We made stops at Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Fort William, Commando Memorial, Fort Augustus at the bottom of Loch Ness, Laggan Dam and Pitlochry. At the Commando Memorial we were even lucky enough to see Ben Nevis which apparently is usually shrouded in cloud. We were also lucky enough to see a stag.

We went back to the Scotia that night and the Frank Hagen band were on. They were very good musicians, but it wasn't as much fun as the night before.

Our final day was spent visiting the Barras Market, which we found disappointing and not worth the walk, the Cathedral, the Necropolis, the Provends Lordship and the Lighthouse - all worth a visit.

I really loved Glasgow, found the people friendly and great fun and would certainly recommend the city for a short weekend break.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
1. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

Excellent trip report! The Corinthian sounds worth a visit (as does the pub) and looks pretty attractive on the website. The Barras never looked very appealing to me, and reading this I'm even less likely to make that walk to the east any time soon.

Glasgow isn't always the first place that springs to mind when people think of a short weekend break, but I too think its perfect.

Cheers

Essex UK
2. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

Glad you liked the write up. Most of my friends looked puzzled when I told them I was going to Glasgow and one even asked why! I really enjoyed it.

glasgow
reviews: 9
3. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

sounds like you had a great trip and its so nice that you got a real taste of Glasgow :) some people just can't see past the bad rep that it has :( i for one love the city, but i'm biased lol

re the Barra's, it's a shame it has gone down so badly, my dad had a shop near there in the 80's/90's and a sunday was a great experience, it was full of buzz and was a great day. I remember we used to stay opened til midnight on xmas eve as this was when the barra's shut, the atmosphere was great, it was a real party. But, as you say it really has gone down hill and it is just not what it used to be :( it's really sad :(

however, sounds like you had a great trip and that you got to see a lot!! :) Glad you had such a great time

Ayr
reviews: 23
4. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

Glad that you enjoyed Glasgow so much Angel57- I would add that in the past couple of years literally hundreds and hundreds of visitors to Ayr have told me that Glasgow has become a favourite place - its reputation was probably much worse a couple of decades ago............. and I when advise visitors with maybe a day to spare to pay a visit they absolutely LOVE the place (as I do) and that was as recently as Wednesday with a big party of Norwegian visitors who arrived back in Ayr after a day in the city and just couldn't praise it enough. We all knew around this area that Glasgow was great city, and finally it's getting true recognition from much further afield as the place to be.

Scotland
reviews: 6
5. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

nice report...

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 94
6. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

I've had a similar reaction from friends when I rave about my trips to Glasgow! Most people would visit Edinburgh but seem to think Glasgow is run down and seedy. I do my best to educate!

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 103
7. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

I first visited Glasgow in 1992 & have been there practically every year since (decent bands never play Aberdeen!). I have done many of the things that Angel57 has done & yes, the tour of the School of Art is definitely worthwhile. I hadn't realised there was a tour of the City Chambers, so that's on my list for the next visit. The Kelvingrove & the Burrell Collection are both superb, also. I find the people in Glasgow charming, amusing & very helpful - on one of my first visits I totally lost my bearings walking from my B&B in Garnethill to a restaurant in the Merchant City - the couple I asked for directions insisted on walking with me most of the way & suggested I take a taxi back at the end of the evening, just to be on the safe side, although I must say I have never encountered hassle of any kind when walking on my own day or night there (which is more than I can say for Aberdeen!).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
8. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

Angel, hope you don't mind but I have added your report to the Scottish Trip Reports Collection; previously known as the Scotland Inside Pages, now known as 'Before you Go'.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186485-c21729/Scotla…

PC:)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
9. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

typo/error! The Scottish Trip Reports Collection is to be found in the Scotland 'Before you Go' section (Travellers Articles). Ah you probably guessed what I meant lol. The link will take you there anyway.

Essex UK
10. Re: Glasgow Trip Report

That's fine by me.

Thanks Purpleceltic