We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo
reviews: 9
Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

Been to Glasgow twice before, and love it, but this time I'll have 2 nights in Edinburgh first and then the last in Glasgow.

Have tried checking out how to get from PIK to Edinburgh.

Is it so that the train from PIK to Glasgow ends up at a different station (Central) that the one where the trains to Edinburgh leave from? Are there any better ways to travel than train; i.e. buses?

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

Yeah - I did this journey a while ago - trains from Prestwick go into Glasgow Central, while the train to Edinburgh leaves from Glasgow Queen Street. But they're not far apart at all, easily walkable (well, unless you have very heavy bags!). Have a look on Google Maps or something similar, you'll see how far it is. I can't remember exactly, because I'd been to Glasgow before and trusted myself to find Queen Street without a map, and we actually ended up walking quite a long way round (oops).

I think the train is probably still the best option. There's a very cheap coach from Glasgow city centre to Edinburgh but I think you'd still want to get the train from Prestwick to Glasgow, so you'd still have to get off at Glasgow Central and change (and find the bus stop, which I don't think is any closer than Queen Street). But someone else might know of a direct bus that I never discovered!

By the way, I believe (not sure if this is still true) that you can get a discount on your rail ticket by showing your boarding card...

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
2. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

There are a few ways to get to Edinburgh. One way is to catch the train at Glasgow Prestwick Airport to Glasgow Central, than either take the ten minute easy stroll to Queen Street Station and jump on the Edinburgh train, or hop in a taxi for a few minutes.

Alternatively you can catch the X77 bus from Glasgow Prestwick Airport to Buchanan Street Bus Station and then transfer to the Edinburgh Bus.

If you checkout the website www.travelinescotland.com it will give you timings for bus and train travel on the dates you are looking for. If you arfe travelling on a sunday then the buses are sometimes the best bet on that day, as they often work on the railway lines on sundays, creating delays or changes to schedules.

ps there is a train to edinburgh from Glasgow Central Station, but it takes a long time and makes lots of stops on the way, so many people avoid using it.

Cotswolds
3. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

There are fast trains (GNER) from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh, but only every two hours, The Queen Street route is a lot more frequent

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 18
4. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

The train from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh is NOT fast. It takes well over an hour and stops everywhere on the way. Best to get the one from Queen Street if you can.

Oslo
reviews: 9
5. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

WOW! Thanks for your quick replies! Looks like we'll do the 10-minute walk between the 2 train stations. We'll be in Glasgow on a Saturday night. I've been to 2 nightclubs there, Arta and Oranmor.

Being in our early 40s, we found both of them to be OK for mixed age groups, but we liked Oranmor best. It seemed more relaxed, and it was men in kilts there! Do anybody know if there are clubs in the same "spirit" as Oranmor in Edinburgh as well?

Glasgow
reviews: 2
6. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

Goodwitch

There are actually two services from Central to Edinburgh.The Scotrail service is the slow one but the GNER service is fast..As it is going to London it has lots of carriages and usually has plenty of empty seats.

However someone arriving at Prestwick will want to use the rail discount fare which I presume is on Scotrail only.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
7. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

Oslo-female,

Its actually quite easy to walk between Central and Queen St station. Easier than explaining the route.

The centre is a grid and so it is something like 3 streets along and 4 up (or is it 4 along and 3 up). So there are dozens of routes. There will be hundreds of people willing to point you in the right direction, and Queen St is beside George Square - the heart of Glasgow.

Don't forget to look up at the magnificent architecture...

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
8. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

Here's a neat little map that you can also get to by following the link on the left of this page to Glasgow maps:

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/maps-full.html

9. Re: Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 31, 2009