We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best meal in town?

Which Glasgow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 23
Best meal in town?

I'm planning to take my family to Glasgow (I studied here), put them in a hotel overnight and have what will hopefully be a memorable dinner with them. It will be my 30th birthday (and will be special for other reasons too) and so I'm not so worried about price at the moment.

What I'd very much appreciate are tips for an elegant place for a great meal. I live in London now so I've been out of the loop for a while. I'd usually just refer to my Harden's Guide, but they don't seem to be especially enthusiastic about many places in Glasgow.

From what I can gather, Gamba (which I've been to and liked) and the Buttery seem to be recommended but other places like Brian Maule and the Chip get a bit of a kicking.

Can anyone help? Town centre location preferable.

Thanks very much.

scotland
reviews: 19
1. Re: Best meal in town?

Rogano just off Buchanan Street is lovely. Its quite old fashioned, pricey and serves great oysters. Check out their website.

La Laterna is a great Italian restaurant where I had my 21st birthday dinner. The food is excellent.

Glasgow
reviews: 15
2. Re: Best meal in town?

Brian Maule at Le Chardon D'Or is very nice. Etain in Princess Square is godd also. Both are quite dear. I only go to these on special occcasions.

scotland
3. Re: Best meal in town?

Catch 22 (on Bath street) is lovely. Great food, great surroundings, great service.

Abu Dhabi, United...
4. Re: Best meal in town?

Thanks, everyone.

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Best meal in town?

Was at Rogano recently for a friends birthday dinner, and we had a private room which was very nice. Food and service both very good. Price was reasonable too.

My favourite would still be the Buttery. Although I would check that they have definitely re-opened as I remember they had a small ktichen fire a few weeks ago.

Wrexham, United...
reviews: 94
6. Re: Best meal in town?

Popped in to Rogano yesterday. What a delight. Beautiful place and good service. Wherever you end up , hope you enjoy it.

DOL123

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 40
7. Re: Best meal in town?

Another vote for Rogana here. Also like Gamba

Central Scotland
8. Re: Best meal in town?

I love the Rogano; great service and attention to detail. The only possible negative could be that the surrounding area is busy with clubs and pubs later at night.

What about Restaurant Rococo? Very central and elegant and won a top restaurant prize last year.

Manna is the old Papingo on Bath St and I've always felt so relaxed when eating there. Their head chef has previously worked at the Rogano and Gamba.

Another great place for inspiration is 'The List' Eating and Drinking Guide which you can search online at http://www.list.co.uk/restaurants/index.php

Have a great time wherever you end up.

Forest Hill
9. Re: Best meal in town?

I know you said town centre but I would like to recommend the bothy restaurant in the west end. It is down an alleyway in an old victorian building opposite Ashton Lane on Byres Road. It is tradtional Scottish food with a modern flavour.

I used to live in Glasgow and now live in London and on a trip home I took my family and friends there and everyone loved it., especially the staff in kilts! It has a really relaxed, intimate atmosphere. You can hire the private dining area too if you need to.

I hope you have a nice time wherever you end up going.

Glasgow
reviews: 7
10. Re: Best meal in town?

Just have to promote Le Chandon D'Or - we went there to celebrate my sisters engagement and it's the best meal we've had in ages! Was quite expensive but very worth it! We were there for ages just enjoying the atmosphere, wine, food and the cheese at the end was the most amazing platter!!

Another place I've not been to myself, but my parents raved about was 'Two Fat Ladies'.