We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

Which St. Andrews hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
reviews: 12
Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

What will the weather be? what clothes?

5 replies to this topic
Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 109
1. Re: Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

Bring layers, a waterproof and you may even need hats and gloves....or shorts and t shirts!! Fleeces are lightweight but warm so they are easy to pack. May can be a warm month ( by UK standards) and the evenings stay light, especially further north. Sorry it is impossible to tell what the weather will be like more than a few days in advance. We were in St.Andrews over Easter weekend and there was a chill in the air with sunshine spoiled by haar (sea mist) at the coast which can happen even in summer. When we got home to the highlands the air was much warmer!

It's unlikely to be as warm or humid as S.C.

Have a great trip

Woody x

Edited: 9:51 am, April 26, 2014
Charleston, South...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

Thanks. I also meant to ask where are jeans acceptable?

Grantown-on-Spey...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
reviews: 109
3. Re: Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

Jeans are acceptable mostly everywhere although you may find that some of the posher golf clubs don't allow them.....and remember if jeans get wet they are most uncomfortable (if you were thinking about golfing in them I mean!!)

W x

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

We are heading to Elie (20 minutes from St. Andrews) in mid-May and i intend to pack clothing for all seasons. We'll have stuff for going to the beach and lots of layers for cold / windy / wet weather.

I recommend lots of layers!

Virginia
reviews: 1
5. Re: Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May

I've traveled to Dornoch and St Andrews in May, and had what I think is relatively "normal" weather. Typical golf wear for me was a lightweight silk underlayer (packs very light and small), a long-sleeve golf shirt, a sleeveless sweater (in Scotland a vest is an undershirt), and a windproof outer layer. I also had good waterproofs for the rainy days. I always wore long trousers, never saw a day where I would have wanted to wear shorts. As the others have said, the key is flexibility, and the best way to be flexible is to pack lots of different layers. Oh, I never wore jeans to the golf course, but did wear them around town most nights, and I never felt like I was out of place. I'm sure you could find a few fine restaurants where jeans would be discouraged, but I never had that problem.

Have a great time!

Reply to: Dornoch and St. Andrews in Mid-May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted