We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning an itinerary!

Which St. Andrews hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 11
Help planning an itinerary!

My wife and 16 year old son are planning a trip to the U.K. next summer and are trying to choose a route that helps us see a lot, yet not be stuck in a car for 14 days.

We would like to see St. Andrews, if not to play golf, at least to see the birthplace of the sport. Obviously, we want to spend a few days in London on the front and back end of our trip. We would also like to see Stonehenge, the Cotswolds, etc... I know these are widely spread locations, so we're trying decide what not to miss and still see at least a small portion of Scotland, along with some of the more rural areas of England. We are also trying to decide transportation. Is it better to take the train from London to Edinburgh and then rent a car to travel a circuitous route back to London?

Any help suggestions, would be welcome! Thanks!

London, United...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

Check the website for St Andrew's Golf Links, bookings are very easy and the courses are beautiful.

http://www.standrews.org.uk/

I guess it's not wise to drive between Cotswolds and Edinburgh, as they are in different directions from London. Instead, you can always rent a car locally, which is probably cheaper.

East Coast provides excellent and fast transport between London and Edinburgh. Check their website:

www.eastcoast.co.uk

Shawnee, Kansas
2. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

This is very helpful, thanks! I think we'll probably take the train system to Edinburgh and rent a car for the Cotswolds. Appreciate the train tip, as that's different than the other rail sites I found.

Much appreciate the advice!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
3. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

Just be aware that on the train site, you can't book tickets more than 12 weeks in advance- looking now for next June will throw up ridiculously high prices, but if you plan it well you can get the train for as little as £25 one way from London. Sign up for the email alert system for the dates you are travelling and they will let you know when the cheap seats are released.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 59
4. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

I am a great enthusiast for train travel in general and the East Coast line for travel between Edinburgh and London in particular. However, the easiest route between the Cotswolds and Edinburgh is to fly from either Bristol or Birmingham. Both have moderate-sized, easily navigated airports with regular services on low-cost carriers to Scotland. You might consider taking the train one-way from London to Bath or Bristol and spending a couple of nights in that area, hiring a car to see the Cotswolds, and then flying up to Edinburgh. (Car definitely not advised in either Bath or Edinburgh, but would be useful for days out in the Cotswolds, and Fife and St Andrews) Then take a one-way train ticket back to London.

The cheap advance-purchase train tickets that 3N_F mentions are always sold as one-way deals, so there is no disadvantage in not taking returns. The only possible disadvantage to be aware of with these tickets (along with the fact that they go on sale 12 weeks before the travel date) is that you are locked to the specific train that you book for - no exchanges.

Shawnee, Kansas
5. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

Extremely helpful info. Thanks so much!

Shawnee, Kansas
6. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

This is great information. I really appreciate it!

7. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:14 am, January 31, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 1
8. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

My husband and I are planning a similar trip to the UK this August, and we have done a lot of research. This is our itinerary: (4) nights in London. Pick-up rental car (downtown London - cheaper to pick-up in London than Heathrow, and more flexible than the train or bus). 1-1/2 hour drive to Oxford for the day. Spend (1) night in the Cotswolds in a village near Oxford(I.e. Woodstock, Burford - accommodation much more affordable). Next day leisurely drive through the Cotswolds on the way to Bath (time to sightsee and wander through a few villages). (3) nights in Bath - one day for sightseeing in Bath and time for a day trip to Stonehenge, etc. Next, a 5-1/2 hour drive (+ sightseeing/meandering time) up through Wales to Conwy for (3) nights - great location to make day trips to all the northern castles, Snowdonia, etc. Finally, a 5-1/2 drive from Conwy to Edinburgh, with added time for a stop at Hadrian's Wall. (4) nights in Edinburgh, with a day trip up to St. Andrews. Lastly, we fly Virgin Atlantic to Heathrow ($70 USD per person) to catch our flight home - cheaper and quicker than any train to London. Hope this helps.

St Andrews, Fife
reviews: 1
9. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

Get the sleeper train up - the usual 12 weeks in advance applies but it gets into Edinburgh at 8am and saves you a day travelling. You'd be paying for train tickets and accommodation anyway I would guess, so combine the two and get an extra day's sightseeing. www.scotrail.co.uk is the website, look for the Caledonian Sleeper leaving London Euston. You could even get it direct to Fort William and work your way back to Edinburgh.

London, United...
reviews: 77
10. Re: Help planning an itinerary!

It may be cheaper to fly with easy jet from london to Edinburgh check out the prices

Cheaper if booked early