We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf at St Andrews 2013

Which St. Andrews hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, Florida
Golf at St Andrews 2013

Planning a trip to St. Andrews 11days in September 2013 (4 people)

Already booked Crail, Kingsbarns, Leven, Lundin, Carnoustie

Gullane 1 and 2 and North Berwick.

Then 4 days around St. Andrews Links... (3 day pass not booked)

(Jubilee,Castle,New) Fingers crossed Old(ballot)

Checked busy dates,seems good....

Question is it better to pre book 3 day pass or just arrive on first days play and keep flexible because don't know about Old course availability

What the realistic chances on the ballot will enter every day while in area.?

What are the other St Andrews courses like, Dukes,Fairmont etc....?

Thank you for any helpful advice.......

Andrew

Virginia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Golf at St Andrews 2013

Good luck, it sounds like a brilliant trip. In looking at the St. Andrews website, it seems that the difference between the Advance Reservable 3-day ticket and the normal one is just 25 pounds. If its me, I'd go that route, and book my times in advance. I've read that the management is generally flexible in rebooking a round when a group gets selected for in the ballot. That's not personal experience, so I'd suggest you email the reservations department at the Links Trust and confirm that.

My only experience with "walk-up" golf is very positive. We arrived in St. Andrews on a Saturday morning back in June. After lunch and a walk around, several of us walked down to the Links clubhouse, and were able to play the New Course immediately. That same day, another of our group managed to play the Old Course as a single, joining a group of 3 Englishmen.

As for the Ballot, I've read that if you try to play on a number of consecutive days, your chances are pretty good, but obviously there are no guarantees. If you have more than 4 players, the chances of all of you playing the same day must be pretty small. Remember that you can show up at the starter early in the morning to see if there are openings. You may not play all together, but you still may play the Old Course, and its a great experience.

I don't have experience with the other St Andrews area courses you mention, but one I can recommend is Panmure, very near Carnoustie. This is where Hogan practiced before he won his Open Championship.

A last question for you, are you staying near Gullane and north Berwick for a few days? If so, you might think about a drive into Musselburgh, to play the original 9-hole course there with hickory-shafted clubs.

Boca Raton, Florida
2. Re: Golf at St Andrews 2013

Thank for you reply...

Panmure was one I had to drop but if we get the chance I would like to go there too, I have heard it is good.

I tried to get a balance 36 holes only a couple of days with no travel eg Crail,Leven and Lundin and gullane1 and 2.

Spoke with St. Andrews links too they have always been helpful and accommodating .....

Yes after Carnoustie,driving down to Edinburgh for 2 nights we chose gullane 1 and 2 and north berwick, it may be a bit tight to squeeze some more in and I looked at musselburgh, I wish we could get there there is always another time.

There is just so many good courses to choose from.

It has been a lot of fun planning it too...

Thank you again for your advice..

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
reviews: 26
3. Re: Golf at St Andrews 2013

Andrew,

I take it you are travelling at the start of September as you say you have checked the busy dates and it's all good for you.

The law of averages says that the more times you enter the ballot the more chance of success you have, but the ballot carries no guarantees, so don't assume that making, for example, three entries, means you are definitely going to get on.

I think your decision about the pass should be made on the basis of whether it's more important to you to give yourself every chance for the Old course or whether it's more important to have golf pre-booked for most days of your trip. There are so many courses around St Andrews that if you are flexible on the time of day you can play you should have a good chance of getting on somewhere else if the ballot doesn't work out for you.

The Duke's is an inland, more heathland style course, and a very different proposition to the the coastal courses.

Dundee, United...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Golf at St Andrews 2013

When you play the marquee courses ie Kingsbarns, Old and Carnoustie, I would recommend taking caddies as they will enhance your experience. Kingsbarns does a special deal where you can play a second round at 50% off.

5. Re: Golf at St Andrews 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 13, 2014