We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falkirk to Sterling

Which Falkirk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, Virginia
reviews: 53
Falkirk to Sterling

What's the best bet for 11 of us to travel from Falkirk to Sterling?

We'll be picking up a pair of canal boats for a trip to Edinburgh but would like to make the side trip to Sterling if feasible.

7 replies to this topic
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
1. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

It's Stirling.

If you're at the Falkirk Wheel then I think the nearest railway station is Camelon. Off-Peak Day Return is £5.00 per person (valid after 0915 weekdays and all day Sat and Sun). Buy the tickets in groups of 3-5 people together and get a Groupsave discount of 1/3rd. You will need to buy on the train as Camelon station is unstaffed.

Gloucester, Virginia
2. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

Sorry, can't spell.

Thanks for the info. Some of this stuff is hard to find on-line.

Can you give me a web site with the train info? I'm not having much luck.

Edited: 9:55 pm, May 03, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

Don't worry too much about the Sterling thing as they used to mint money in the town which is where Sterling silver & pounds sterling comes from. It's an old pronunciation of the town.

You say you are picking up a canal boat but where? You will likely have to get taxi's or a mini bus to the station so why not just take one all the way to Stirling. It's only a 20 minute ride.

http://www.yell.com/s/mini+bus+hire-falkirk.html

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
reviews: 5
4. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

www.scotrail.co.uk

Gloucester, Virginia
5. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

We'll get the boats in Falkirk. Someplace in the vicinity of the Wheel. Trying to keep costs down and I suspect the train is less expensive than a taxi.

I guess I'm not very used to using the Train link. Camelon Station did not appear for me when I typed in Falkirk nor can I find it on the map page. Grahamston station is the one that they take us to/from and I couldn't find that on the map page either. It would be nice if they had a map of station locations. The connection guide never did load.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
6. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

http://goo.gl/maps/GIx20

Google is your friend!!

From the wheel its about a mile's walk to the station or you can get the busses indicated if you click on this link.

I would still at least contact a local company, say http://roundabouttravelltd.com/ to get a quote. It is going to cost you £36 on the train plus bus fares if you don't walk. Also the mini bus would take you direct to the castle (which is where I presume you need to go). Otherwise it would be a walk up a steep hill from Stirling station. Also trains only run every 30 minutes so if you are on a time constrain that could affect you.

It's only 10 miles to Stirling, about 20 minutes so I doubt the taxi would be unaffordable

If you need train times then look at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Gloucester, Virginia
7. Re: Falkirk to Sterling

That's very helpful.

Thanks!!

Reply to: Falkirk to Sterling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Falkirk