We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falkirk Wheel

Which Falkirk District hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 31
Falkirk Wheel

Please advise if this is worth a visit - I'm staying in Stirling and Glasgow on a visit to Scotland in a few wochen. What else is there to see in Fakirk?

Central scotland
reviews: 1
1. Re: Falkirk Wheel

If you like engineering the wheel is very impressive. If you don't it's mildly interesting. There's very little else to see in Falkirk except the remnants of the Antonine Wall. This was a mostly dirt/embankment wall that crossed the country, built by the romans. There's a ruined fort at roughcastle(about three miles from the Falkirk Wheel).

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 63
2. Re: Falkirk Wheel

Curiously, a friend was just telling me today how he had visited it and found it a lot more interesting than he'd expected - but it sounds best for a nice day. There is apparently a boat trip involved, and you can go for a walk by the canal.

Callendar House is nearby - see www.callendarhouse.org. This is a 600 year old, historic house that also plays host to a variety of travelling exhibitions. Kinneil museum could also be worth a look if you're interested in the romans in britain (though I haven't been to it)

Edinburgh
reviews: 58
3. Re: Falkirk Wheel

I took some friends from Malaysia to the Falkirk Wheel this summer and they all enjoyed it but I think you'll get more out of it if you have an engineering interest.

One of the other posts mention the Kinneil Museum - it's a small museum but worth it if you are interested in Roman Britain. One word of caution though last i heard the Kinneil Museum was closing, so check it out before you go if you plan to.

Also in Bo'ness (where Kinneil is) is the Birkhill Steam Railway - a fully working steam railway that travels back and forth to a clay mine in the hills. Very popular with children and train enthusiasts but it's not a must see otherwise.

To be honest there should be plenty to entertain you in Stirling and Glasgow while you're here. If you have time to go anywhere else I would go to Edinburgh over Falkirk - it's about an hour by train from both Glasgow and Stirling and there are regular services (every 15 mins from Glasgow, at least hourly from Stirling). A day trip would give you a great experience of Edinburgh and you would see a lot in that time.

Whatever you do, have fun!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
reviews: 242
4. Re: Falkirk Wheel

If you're travelling nearby Falkirk then its a very pleasant way to spend an hour, but I wouldn't go out of your way to get there unless you have a special interest. Some people may disagree with that opinion of course!

The day I went it was a very busy summers afternoon and the waiting times for a ride on the boat that goes around with the wheel was a few hours long. We decided to just watch it instead, though I'm almost glad I didn't go on as it would have cost us a fortune for the whole family. Here's a link:

thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/content/…

London
5. Re: Falkirk Wheel

As it turns out, I'm likely to be in Falkirk this weekend and am looking for something to do whilst there!

Is the wheel within walking distance from Falkirk town centre and would I need to book in advance for a boat trip at this time of year? This sounds an ideal thing to do for an overgrown kid like me! :-)

Ballater, United...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Falkirk Wheel

We went on the wheel back in March and I have to say it was a pleasant day out - but extremely cold. I think you'll need public transport, or a car to get there from Falkirk itself. Our guide was very knowledgable about the wheel and gave a humourous commentary throughout. I think booking ahead might be wise, it was packed during our visit.

We had lunch at a nearby pub called The WheelHouse beforehand and had no complaints.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
7. Re: Falkirk Wheel

Hello, here is the person who disagrees with you, pc :-))

We had a car, and made a special stop to see the wheel. I can't say either myself or my husband have any special interest in engineering (although he does welding, building and that sort of thing), but we both thought it was fascinating!

Agreed, it was a pleasant day, but it was great fun to get into the boat and get lifted in the air, water and all. Then we took a very short boat "tour" along the canal a bit, then back in and down we went. The whole trip takes about a half hour.

We bought our tickets on the spot and were able to get in right away, although it was still early in the day.

I think our main interest was that there is absolutely nothing like it anywhere else in the world. It seemed so impressive to be able to move all that weight to that height so quietly.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 5
8. Re: Falkirk Wheel

Callendar House is well worth a visit if in the Falkirk area.

The walk along the canal from Falkirk High to Linlithgow

is quite pleasant, takes a couple of hours though.

You would get the train back from Linlithgow to Falkirk High.

London
9. Re: Falkirk Wheel

Thanks for the tips! Probably not going to be in Falkirk for too long a time, flying in Sat morning and have a wedding function in the evening, so can't do anything too ambitious. We were originally planning to go to Edinburgh but that seemed like too much hassle for half a day - besides, i would rather visit somewhere I've not been to before!

Just hope that I can talk the friends I'm travelling with to do something more adventurous that sitting in a pub all day! :-)

Red Deer, Canada
reviews: 1
10. Re: Falkirk Wheel

Definately worth a visit and do take the canal boat trip that lets you experience the wheel first-hand. There isn't much else in Falkirk except the Roman ruins and the "Antoinine Wall" which are very interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

Get answers to your questions about Falkirk District