We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moorestown, NJ
Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

We will be spending a week in Edinburgh beginning Sept. 4. We want to travel to Dysart where my ancestors (Symes) came from for a day or so. My husband wants to visit St. Andrews, and we also just want to view the lovely scenery along the shore. We aren't sure if we should rent a car, or is there is some commercial transport that would accomodate us. Are there any recommendations about transport or restaurants in those areas?

Also, I am an artist and will be looking for interesting sights in these areas to photograph, so I can paint them when I get home to the U.S. I would like to do a lovely painting in honor of my Scottish ancestry.

Thanks!

Seattle
reviews: 6
1. Re: Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

USLass: For St. Andrews, you can take the train from Edinburgh to Leuchars, and then bus or cab to St. Andrews, or just take the bus to/from Edinburgh.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/getting.shtml

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/X5960pckttt21072005[1].pdf

If you go further north by train to Stonehaven, Dunnottar Castle is situated very near the water -- perfect for land/sea scapes pictures. More info on this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186487-i579-k2876…

Russell, Kansas
reviews: 36
2. Re: Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

If it were me, I would rent a car and just do a whole loop of fife. Fife is like my "home base" for when I visit Scotland so it is one place I can explore with ease on my own. The fishing villages like Anstruther and Pittenweem are so nice to stop in and just admire. The fish and chip shop at Anstruther is tops too. And I love Falkland. It is just a beautiful, easy going little place. I like to grab a pie and drink at the wee shop across from the palace and just stroll around. The palace itself is nice to look into as well.

Edinburgh, Scotland
3. Re: Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

I agree with Kansabeck. The train is fine for getting to St Andrews but, if you want to explore the coastal villages of the East Neuk of Fife a car is probably essential. There is of course a bus service along the coast but a car gives you the freedom to go where you want, when you want. Anstruther, Crail, Pittenweem, Ely and so on are exceptionally lovely fishing villages and I think you'd want the freedom of choice and the time to explore.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 2
4. Re: Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

Renting a car would be the better option as you can take your time and visit the places specifically of interest to you. There are numerous picturesque villages and places in Fife and you may just get the sights or scenery that you want for your picture. If that is the case you can with a car rental stop when you want and take the photograph. In a bus or other transport you have little or no influence on the driver and as such you may miss some photographic opportunities which you may later regret.

Very few tours would include all the places of interest to you and with a car you can spend as much or as little time as you would want in any place. There is quite a bit to do and see in St Andrews especially if your husband is intending visiting the Old Course for photographs etc.

The roads in Fife should be quieter in September and if you leave Edinburgh after the business rush hour you should have an enjoyable time.

5. Re: Best way to travel to Dysart, St. Andrews, Faulkland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 17, 2009