We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 27
Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

I have 5 nights with 3 things to accomplish (we wish we had more time )

A. Want to see Edinburgh and play St Andrews (we know members) and take tour of Isle of Skye.

It looks to me the Rabbie 3 day 2 night tour makes the most sense for maximum sights.

We arrive around 1pm on May 24 from Dubrovnik and tentatively will take the late night flight to Belfast on May 29.

All suggestions are welcomed including that we are nuts. Hehe

11 replies to this topic
Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
1. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

I see you are coming to Edinburgh, a fabulous city with so much to see and to there, two weeks would not be enough, It would be a great pity to miss seeing Edinburgh just so you can tick the boxes. Personally, I would leave Skye for another time. It takes about 5-6 hours to get to Skye from Edinburgh and would really need a couple of days to see some of it.

reviews: 9
2. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

If you play St Andrews and do the trip to Skye you are leaving yourself almost no time to see Edinburgh.

Which may be fine if that's what you wish to do.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 27
3. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

But my thoughts are the 3 day 2 night Bus Tour for Skye which still leaves me 3 nights in Edinburgh.

I know its not enough but its all we have and everyone tells me not to miss Skye .

How far is St Andrews from Edinburgh , that should just be an afternoon which still should leave 2 /12 days for Edinburgh.

reviews: 9
4. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

With the limited time I would not venture as far as Skye - so there you go, someone else telling you to drop Skye for this visit.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
5. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

I guess you are intending to go to St Andrews just for the golf, and not stay there? So that's 3-4 hrs for the golf, and 1 1/2 hours each way by car, longer if you use public transport. So almost one full day for St Andrews. Luckily in late May it doesn't get dark until almost 11 pm so you can still spend some time out and about in Edinburgh.

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
6. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

It's around 1 1/2 hours drive, to St.Andrews. So about 3 hours return journey, plus 4 hours for 18 holes and golf and you will surely want to look around the town??? I would give it a day and see some of Fife which is a great place with lots of golf, lovely fishing villages along the coast, go to Anstruther for Fish & Chips. Visit Falkland village, like stepping into the past with it's quaint old houses and Falkland Palace home of Kings and Queens of Scotland and the Hunting Lodge of Mary Queen of Scots. See the real tennis court there that Mary used and still in use today having being played by our present Queen's son Prince Edward. A day in Fife (where St.Andrews is situated is very pleasant)

I have to tell you this and I will probably be shot down in flames here. I don't like Skye and never have. There are far nice places to visit. Skye is great for hiking, walking, climbs and outdoor pursuits, but if you don't do these you are left with views,, views which you will get in many nearer parts of Scotland. Forget the long haul right across Scotland and enjoy what will be closer to you.

Edited: 6:41 am, December 30, 2013
Fife, Scotland
reviews: 43
7. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

Everybody has their own way of doing things and your idea is fine and all I can add for your St Andrews trip is unless you have a car you get a train to Leuchars then taxi or bus to St Andrews. There is an X60/X58 bus but it takes a lot longer.

London, United...
reviews: 58
8. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

I think it's a mistake to count nights in this case.

As I see it, you arrive on the afternoon of 24 May. By the time you clear the airport formalities and collect your baggage (allow 45 minutes) and travel to your hotel and check in (allow another hour), it's after 3 pm and you won't have much time for sightseeing.

If you start your 3-day tour on 25 May, you will be away from Edinburgh 25-27 May. I would guess such a tour would leave early on the moring of the 1st day and arrive back late in the evening of the third day. So you spend the night of 27 Edinburgh without having any further time for sightseeing.

On 28 May, you will spend a full day getting to, playing golf at and returning from St Andrews. Still no Edinburgh sightseeing.

You will have most of 29 May to sightsee in Edinburgh, but you will also need to factor in:

1) Checking out of hotel

2) Storing luggage (note that some budget hotels will not store luggage so you would need to find somewhere else, like the rail or bus stations to store your things)

3) Collecting luggage (from hotel or otherwise)

4) Travel to airport

5) Checking in at least 1.5 hours before your flight

If you're really into hiking, Skye is a great place to visit, but if you're not, I wouldn't bother with such limited time. Take a day trip to the Trossachs or somewhere else closer to Edinburgh. There is plenty of daylight in late May, so there's plenty of time to go out and about.

Note that 26 May is a UK bank holiday (though not, techncially, a public holiday in Edinburgh so Edinburgh schools will be in session that day and many people will be at work as usual). Many English schools have a half term break the week of 26 May. Therefore, there are likely to be increased visitor numbers from other parts of the UK, which will impact hotel prices/availability.

Georgia
reviews: 1
9. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

Great advice so far. Time is short, you could spend the whole time in Edinburgh and still miss several "highlights". Going from Edinburgh to Skye to St. Andrews (how ever you accomplish that) has you running across the country. We didn't get to Skye, it's on the must do list for our next trip. We had to cut Skye because we were "only" in Scotland for 11 days....

re: "It looks to me the Rabbie 3 day 2 night tour makes the most sense for maximum sights. "

Actually, if Skye and St. Andrews remains on your list, for "maximum sights", I'd skip the tour and rent a car. You are much more flexible, can go at your own pace and slip off to many lesser known or less crowded spots! The only other consideration I'd have, at least when I'm locked into a tour. What if it rains and is cloudy? Kind of really defeats the purpose of going to Skye? Or even Glen Coe and many other sights. Personally, I'd like the flexibility to adjust plans was needed, but that's me.

If you rent a car, I'd plan to spend one full day seeing all the sights between Edinburgh and Skye (Stirling Castle, the Troussachs, Glen COe, etc.......) and then grab a hotel in Skye or lay up just short of Skye. THen spend a full day in Skye and a night there. Next morning, maybe a couple things on Skye (and of course, not enough time anyway), then see a few things between Skye and St. Andrews. Next morning, golf and head back to Edinburgh. Still way too little time!!! You could spend many days between Edinburgh and Skye, between Skye and St. Andrews and between St. Andrews and Edinburgh.

FWIW....

Edited: 11:21 am, December 30, 2013
California
reviews: 3
10. Re: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh

Concentrate on Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Look on the Rabbie's Website for a day tour if you want to see a bit more of the country. I would leave Skye for another trip.

Another factor is the weather. I've been there in May when the temperature was almost 90 degrees. May the next year was rainy and in the 50's.

Reply to: Help Plan my Trip Edinburgh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted