We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposal in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Proposal in Edinburgh

Hi,

So here's a tricky one...i want to propose in Edinburgh in November, however:

- I dont want to propose in the castle as it seems too public

- dont want to do it on Arthurs seat as it will be too cold and she'll only complain!

- dont want to do it in a restaurant

So, I'm all out of ideas!! Any good suggestions?!

reviews: 25
1. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

My initial thoughts would be Calton Hill looking towards the Castle and Royal Mile or if your feeling like climbing quite a few steps how about the top of the Scott Monument.

Hazel

Edited: 5:22 pm, August 22, 2013
reviews: 9
2. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Wandering through the botanic gardens.

3. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Hi,

Thanks. Is the scott monument always open/accessible?

Is there a nice view from up there?

reviews: 25
4. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Here's a link to the opening hours edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/5052/scott…

Yes it's open every day and had lovely views of the castle/old town and Princes St Gardens

Hazel

Otley, United...
reviews: 124
5. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

I thought about the Scott Monument too, we climbed up it last November so I would hope it is open this November.....I put a review on. It was very cold, but very bright and sunny, fantastic views. Hope you could find a little quiet corner to pop the question. all the best Lucy Smith

6. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Thanks, you're all so helpful!

Any other ideas appreciated!

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
7. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

On a tram!

Unique, memorable, romantic!!!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
reviews: 53
8. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Has she got a good head for heights? The Scott Monument is harrowing experience if you haven't. The top staircase is very narrow and the exterior bits at the top are small. It might sound romantic, but not sure how practical it actually is in practice.

You could go for lunch at The Tower, and then take her on to the roof terrace of the museum which has wonderful Views of both the Castle and the Forth. I would imagine it would be pretty quiet in November.

Or, the glass houses in the Botanic Gardens could be cool.

There are some very romantic spots on the Water of Leith walkway, like St Bernard's Well.

reviews: 9
9. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Can he wait that long?

(Tram)

Edited: 6:06 pm, August 22, 2013
Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 115
10. Re: Proposal in Edinburgh

Britannia? You could tell her you are just taking her shopping at Ocean Terminal then slip her in to the Royal Yacht Britannia to propose and it will not be a problem if the weather is bad. Lot of great places close by if you then want to go for a meal to celibate her hopeful acceptance, or some good pubs to drown your sorrows if she says NO