We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM in S Queensferry

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
ATM in S Queensferry

I noticed that Clydesdale Bank on High Street has an ATM. Does anyone know if Scottish money or sterling will come out? (Does this make sense?) What happens if we're given Scottish money and have leftovers before heading south to Wales?

It's my first trip to Scotland, so I want to make sure I understand it all......

9 replies to this topic
Glasgow
reviews: 1
1. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

The Clydesdale Bank issues it's own notes which are sterling.

Best to try and use Scottish notes before you leave the country but larger stores and supermarkets in England or Wales will take them ok.

Indianapolis...
2. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

Thanks!

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
3. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

Leftover notes: go to a bank and ask to exchange them.

Saxtons River...
reviews: 5
4. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

The banks I've visited won't exchange Scottish notes unless you have an account at their bank. Barclays on George Street dispenses English notes. Most of the others I've used dispense Scottish notes.

Indianapolis...
5. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

Forgive my ignorance......the notes are the only thing in question, correct? The coins will be the same regardless? Also, even if we come to Scotland bearing only English notes, we could get Scottish notes as change when paying for things anyway. Am I correct?

I'm totally over-analyzing this, but now it's become more of a curious thing than a worrisome thing.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

linlithgow scotland
reviews: 53
6. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

English notes in Scotland..........accepted everywhere.

Scottish notes in England/Wales.........some retailers/restaurants refuse to accept them.

Coins no problem.

London, United...
reviews: 44
7. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

Only the Royal Mint produces UK coin and it is the same throughout the UK.

If you use Bank of England notes in Scotland, you may indeed get Scottish notes in change. These may or may be acceted in England and will likely be hard to exchange outside the UK.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
reviews: 6
8. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

If I ever get RBS notes knocked back in England/Wales, I remind the retailer that they own 80% of the bank!

Gloucester, United...
reviews: 38
9. Re: ATM in S Queensferry

You need to be careful doing that Smithstone. Some cleverdick will end up giving you 20p for each pound on the basis that the rest is their's already. :-)

Reply to: ATM in S Queensferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted