We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Use

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brandon, Canada
reviews: 65
Credit Card Use

I use my BMO MasterCard for most things when I travel in Canada and USA. Does it make sense to use this card for food, lodging and excursions in Scotland, or am I better off getting cash out of my bank card?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Credit Card Use

The short answer is: it depends.

If your card offers rewards, say Air Miles or another type of Miles or Points and / or has no fee for foreign currency transaction *and* if you pay off the balance every month then yes, use the card. If Bank of Montreal charge more than the usual 2.5% convenience (hm) fee and if there are no perks with the card or if you don't pay the balance each month, use the card sparingly.

Check to see what BMO will charge you for taking money from your chequing account; the big UK banks won't levy a fee but your bank might.

You should have no trouble using your chip and PIN card(s) in the UK.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
2. Re: Credit Card Use

Hi. This information is readily available on the BMO website. bmo.com/home/…FCT

Abs :)

Edinburgh
reviews: 62
3. Re: Credit Card Use

Also bear in mind many accommodation providers will charge a surcharge for using a credit card - roughly 2%. Larger hotels may not but smaller venues may, Should be on your booking T&Cs.

Brandon, Canada
4. Re: Credit Card Use

Thanks. I was wondering if most places in Scotland accepts MasterCard.

Brandon, Canada
5. Re: Credit Card Use

I have paid for things like tattoo tickets, and fringe festival tickets with BMO mastercard online and thought the exchange rate charged through mastercard was reasonable (1.61 was the exchange pounds to CAD) just a couple days ago.

Cotswolds
6. Re: Credit Card Use

Most places in the UK (that accept cards) take both Visa and MasterCard. AMEX is less widely accepted, particularly with small establishments

Livingston, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Credit Card Use

Scotland is not the back of beyond all major credit cards accepted.

Edinburgh
reviews: 62
8. Re: Credit Card Use

As dzug1 says, all accepted but AMEX not so with smaller places. We run a small business and it's not that we don't want to accept AMEX but our bank don't accept them so we cannot put payments through. I think it's something to do with the charges between the Bank and AMEX being very high.

London, United...
reviews: 58
9. Re: Credit Card Use

<<Scotland is not the back of beyond all major credit cards accepted.>>

This is true of Visa and Mastercard. As others have posted, AmEx is more variable. Some credit cards that Americans may consider "major" e.g. Diners Club and Discover Card are not widely accepted in the UK (including Scotland).

10. Re: Credit Card Use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 21, 2014