We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good quality cashmere

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Good quality cashmere

Hi all,

I am going to Edinburgh and would like to buy my parents a cardigan. Anywhere I could get a cardigan which is made in Scotland? As I heard most of them are made in China now...

If not, any suggestion for good quality cashmere products?

Thx!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
1. Re: Good quality cashmere

There are shops on the royal mile that sell high quality scottish products. They are nestled between the 'tartan tat' shops however, so you'll have to be savvy. John Lewis and Jenners are two big department stores which will stock Scottish products.

Just check labels carefully and look for the most expense products!

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
2. Re: Good quality cashmere

There are still Scottish Cashmere producers, like Johnston's of Elgin, who sell woollen goods through Jenners - and at Ragamuffin, in the lower quarter of the Royal Mile.

Most cashmere wool comes from China, and over time Chinese have bought their way into the Scottish market. There are few companies left that are purely Scottish, and none would survive purely from a Scottish market - the business is international.

If you want start-to-finish Scottishness you would look for something like a Fair Isle sweater.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
3. Re: Good quality cashmere

Another top plater is ballantynes, and you'll probably see their products for sale. The scottich end of the company remained independent and family owned producing high quality yarn in the south of Scotland until bought over by Dawsons group, who have since bitten the dust, I believe, causing closures after the take-over and again on their demise. It's a long and complicated and ugly story.

The result of which is the major Ballantynes brand is Italian ...

http://www.ballantyne.it/

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Good quality cashmere

There's a couple of shops that sell Cashmere in Princes street, I bought a sweater there which was quite reasonable, the label says Lochmere and it says made in Scotland so I'm assuming it is the real deal but yes Ballantynes is probably the most famous brand.

5. Re: Good quality cashmere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, July 22, 2013
6. Re: Good quality cashmere

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, July 22, 2013
Edinburgh
reviews: 12
7. Re: Good quality cashmere

James Pringle Woollen Mills in Leith have a good selection

8. Re: Good quality cashmere

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 24, 2014