We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur
Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

Me and my 22 year old daughter will be staying in Edinburgh this July for 5 nights

We want to stay near the Hotel/B&B to maximise our time for sighting in the city plus a day train out of the city

We prefer to stay very near to Waverley station since we plan to sightsee on the last day till late afternoon

We love to stay in a mid range accommodation with at about 80 to 90 pounds per night with Scottish character. The reviews are mostly mixed & we are worried that we will not have the best given the hundreds of choices !

Please advise us which hotel/B&B is the best candidate.All advices are greatly appreciated

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
1. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

very near to the station - the Balmoral is, but is a tad more than your suggested private range. Do you mean 80-90 *each* or is that your price for a room? I think most places fairly close by come in at 100-125 ...

Kuala Lumpur
2. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

80 to 90 pounds for a double twin room is the budget.

Is Premier Inn Hotel@ Princes Street be the best choice as the reviews are mostly excellent & the view of THE CASTLE from the hotel room( not sure if I will get the correct room/floor) is beautiful.Also it is less than 1 km to Waverley station.Will Premier Inn Hotel be the best choice?

We plan to eat all meals outside the hotel to try restaurants ,cafes .Please give me names of great places to eat @ average 18-20 pounds per person per day

Which of the 5 days should we take a train journey to East coast for spectacular ocean view ?What destination ?

The other 4 days we will be happy to explore Edinburgh ,ie The Castle, Royal Mile,Scottish Museum.Holyrood( what is this?),National Gallery,Gallery of Modern Art,Royal Yacht of Britannia( take a bus?),Botannic Garden,Arthur Seat ,see a play @Playhouse.

Not interested in shopping or Loch Ness/Lomond( not worth the long journey & likely cannot see any monster)

Do i book for a quientessential Scottish show before arrival & please suggest 2 shows

I think that will take up all the 5 days

Thank you all for your invaluable advice

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
3. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

For a Scottish show - this is the main one in the city, yes for July you would need to book in advance http://www.scottishshow.co.uk/

Premier Inn Princes street is a great location- only some of the rooms will have a castle view though! Premier Inn is a budget range of hotels so other than your room there are limited services, but as you plan to eat out then it should be ideal.

If you want to take a day out of the city by the sea then take a train to North Berwick where there is a nice beach, harbour and traditional seaside town as well as a Seabird centre and boat trips. Also nearby is Tantallon castle which is spectacular.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
4. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

Hi. To answer your question about food. 18-20 GBP per day is not much at all. A lot of restaurants charge that for a single main meal.

You should look for cafe lunches - Oink, Kilamanjaro, Baguette Express would be my picks. For dinner look out for pre theatre deals or set price menus.

Abs :)

scotland
reviews: 187
5. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

A taste of Scotland at Prestonfield House is a really excellent show. It has top class entertainment and really good food. Read the reviews on Tripadvisor they are good. Cost is £57 per head but well worth it. This is a top class establishment.

Premier Inn Princess Street can not be beaten for location but you will not get character you could be anywhere in the world. It does however provide a clean modern confortable room right in the centre. For the same price you would need to move out from the centre a bit to get . Everything is in walking distance of Premier Inn. Station is across the road, bus station round the corner and tour buses and airport bus across the road.

As for eating out I would suggest taking advantage of the lunchtime set price offers although they may be few and far between in July. I think you will need to up your budget a little for food perhaps £25 is a bit more realistic.

South Queensferry would be another nice trip for half a day. Fantastic views of the iconic Forth Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge this is only !5 min away by train to Dalmeny. There are also boat trips from here.

Another idea is an organised bus tour of the East Neuk of Fife. This will take you through very pretty little fishing villages.

Holrood is the name of the palace which is at the bottom of the royal mile. The Scottish parliament building next door is an ultra modern building next door which is also sometimes referred to as Holyrood. Both are situated on the edge of Holyrood park which makes for a pleasent stroll or more strenuous climb up Arthurs Seat for amazing views of Edinburgh and Fife.

Hope this helps

Kuala Lumpur
6. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

Where is Prestonfield house? Should we book the show online now from Malaysia?

Should we go out of Edinburgh for 2 half day trips as both Berwick and South Queensferry & East Neuk of Fife sound really good./?

Do we book online now from Malaysia for the tours ?

We love shows ,especially live shows and plays ,so we will see other shows (apart from the Scottish show) in the five evenings .What other theatres shall we go ,which locations will allow us to take a short bus ride or walk back to the hotel.Is it safe to walk back after the shows/plays?

Kuala Lumpur
7. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

Thank you weelassie so much for your wonderful suggestions.

Shall we book online the train ticket to South Queensferry, bus ticket to East Neuk of Fife online from Malaysia now?

We will certainly up our daily food budget & will try the hotel reset lunch for certain days to save time for sightseeing

scotland
reviews: 187
8. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

No need to book rail tickets just buy at station. East neuk trip book online if you can. If not book as soon as you arrive. I am sure you will love Edinburgh?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
9. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

If you want Theatre/ shows then these are the main theatres/ concert halls in the city. Definitely book in advance for the Playhouse shows in particular.

atgtickets.com/venues/edinburgh-playhouse/

http://www.lyceum.org.uk/

http://www.edtheatres.com/

http://www.summerhall.co.uk/

http://www.thequeenshall.net/

http://www.usherhall.co.uk/

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
10. Re: Selection of hotels in Edinburgh -5 nights

We stayed at the George in George street and I think it was more or less your budget but check out this hotel price comparison website.

www.hotelscombined.com