We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcestershire...
reviews: 12
2 nights in edinburgh

Am thinking of traveling to edinburgh for a couple of nights in May with my father and 12 year old daughter, travelling up by train so no car. am coming up from Gloucestershire and cld also potentially stop enroute for a night if any suggestions of nice towns enroute. Any suggestions of what to do? The real Mary King's Close looks fun. I thought a bus tour of some sort? we will probably stay in a central B&B.

Scotland
reviews: 298
1. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

theres a new hotel opened called motel one there cheap and its right next to train station

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
2. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

Have a look here for ideas to get you started. tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g186525-l41-Edinburg… The things that interest your father may be very different to those that interest your daughter- try a mix of history, exploring and shopping ( we have a Primark, Hollister and Jack Wills- all top hits with 12 yr olds in my experience)

Worcestershire...
reviews: 12
3. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

Thanks for that 3nations-family. In honesty I hadn't realised there was soo much to do in Edinburgh and am going to extend our stay for 3 nights to include the zoo, The Hairy Coo Highland tour.

Cadies & Witchery Tour , Holyrood House, Mary Kings Close , a wander up Calton Hill and meander through the Old town. Very much looking forward to it.

Gisburn, United...
reviews: 110
4. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

Just an idea for a family room of 3 generations on a budget!

Central B&B

http://www.queensgh.com/rooms.html#

Reviews

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186525-d1494…

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 202
5. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

Hi. You have some good ideas for your trip. I would think carefully about a day trip to the highlands however. These tend to involve 8 + hours on a bus. Minimal to see except through windows. Not what I would have enjoyed as a 12 year old!

What did you particularly want to see in the highlands? Perhaps there is another way we can suggest to you.

I enjoyed Mary Kings Close, and a wander up and down the Royal Mile from Castle to Palace (and perhaps a romp up Arthurs Seat), is always enjoyable!

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
reviews: 202
6. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

If you are set on a highland day trip, I'd probably opt for the train over a bus journey.

Places such as Dunkeld can be reached in about 1.5 hrs on the train - check http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ for details on times and prices. That's just one example of a journey I know my niece has enjoyed (younger than your daughter!)

7. Re: 2 nights in edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2014