We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Longboat Key...
reviews: 85
Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

I'm thinking I'd like to take one of those hop on hop off bus tours to acclimate myself with the city since I've never been to Scotland and have only a short time in Edinburgh. Can someone suggest which tour bus is the best to us and where do I go to get on it? I'll be staying at the Apex Waterloo Hotel. Thank you.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
1. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

There are multiple tours and the 'best' one will be the one that goes past the things you like most: unfortunately we don' yet know what they are.

All the facts you need are here http://www.edinburghtour.com/ - routes and prices. Some tour buses go along Waterloo Place, but don't stop outside your hotel. All tour buses start from Waverley Bridge but you can buy your ticket by getting on board anywhere.

A bus tour is a good way of spending a couple of hours to get the overview. Place like the Royal Mile have so many potential destinations that it's more convenient to walk that area. Your bus tour is most advantageous if it connects together some of the more outlying destinations - e.g. The Brittania, the Botanic Gardens, the Galleries of Modern Art.

If you are into Art, the Galleries run an irregular shuttle bus from the Mound to Belford Road.

Niagara Falls...
reviews: 16
2. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

I like the one that has the live commentator, better than the ones that have the little ear piece with a boring recording.

Longboat Key...
reviews: 85
3. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

Thank you!

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 115
4. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

Try one of the many walking tours of the Old town (Castle to Palace on Royal Mile) most leave from around St Giles Cathedral both day & night. They will get you up & down many of the closes (Small narrow pedestrian streets) and get you a real feel for the city. Most of the museums on the Royal Mile are free and would suggest you have a look in Huntly House (History of the City) and across the road in the Cannongate Tollbooth (Jail) you have the social history of the City in 'The Peoples Story'

Edited: 4:35 am, March 30, 2013
Rutland, UK
reviews: 48
5. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

You can book a one hour black cab taxi tour for about £25, two hours for £50. The cab takes up to 5 people and you get running commentary throughout. I discovered the tour on the TA Edinburgh pages but I've not yet done it myself.

Edinburgh
6. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

Unless you want a tour which covers the wider city eg: Leith and the Botanic Gardens (as in drives past them, though obviously you can get off!) then the city centre is small enough to walk around and walking is much nicer than sitting on a bus in traffic. Wander down the little side streets and closes, through the gardens and parks, etc.

In any case the bus cannot go on the upper part of the Royal Mile for example and that is one of the most interesting areas to explore on foot. Take a wander along the Royal Mile and through Princes Street Gardens.

The Gardens as well as the Castle Esplanade, Calton Hill, Arthur's Seat/Salisbury Crags, Camera Obscura tower and National Museum of Scotland rooftop terrace all give great views of the city and all but one of them are free. :)

Edited: 9:24 am, March 30, 2013
7. Re: Best way to see Edinburgh in only one or two days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2014