We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer question

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mansfield, Texas
reviews: 13
Beer question

Hi, I need a recommendation for a Scottish beer while in Edinburgh. I previously located and tried one Scottish beer( Innis and Gunn) at a larger Texas bar. This beer was very very strong and quite good, but it had been aged in oak , and it had a slight oak taste that I did not enjoy. Can anyone recommend another brand. Thanks .

warrensburg,MO
1. Re: Beer question

Innis and Gunn have a few different varieties, I like the "rum finish" varient.

There is a large selection offered by the Fraserburgh based Brewdog brewery who's main outlet is a bar on Cowgate. Sometimes they come out with some really strong crap just to get their name in the papers (I think we have a few childish members of their founding team) but their IPA is very nice.

Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 72
2. Re: Beer question

Hi - you are spoilt for choice, and I am saying this as someone who is more a wine drinker. Some good ones are:

Brewdog IPA -definitely a favourite, along with their Trashy Blonde

Harvieston Bitter & Twisted

Ok, it's not totally Scottish, but Cumbria was part of Scotland until relatively recently, so if you see any Jennings Cumberland Ale, do try it. It is a definite favourite.

For Dark beers, Orkney dark island is good.

Enjoy!

stirling
reviews: 3
3. Re: Beer question

In Edinburgh its got to be Deuchars

Virginia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Beer question

During my two trips to Scotland, I found Deuchars to be good, and relatively common. However, my favourite beers were cask ales, produced in small batches and served through a traditional beer engine, or hand pump. I can't say I remember specif favourites, as the selection seemed to change almost daily in the pub which became my "local". If you're lucky enough to stumble into a pub which serves its ales this way, talk to the barman, tell him what you like and don't like in an ale, and he'll probably recommend something that will suit you. Many times I was offered a small taste to help my selection. One good source for finding these pubs is:

cask-marque.co.uk/find-real-ale-pubs/…

Cheers!

reviews: 37
5. Re: Beer question

Try the Hanging Bat pub on Lothian Road - it's got it's own micro brewery on site ..... can't get more local than that!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 40
6. Re: Beer question

Cumbria was part of Scotland until relatively recently?

Would that be before the Romans built Hadran's wall or afterwards

LOL

There are enough fine ales in Scotland without coming over the border to pinch ours!

Rustle the sheep, take as many as you can by all means but touch the beer at your peril!

Slain te

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 793
7. Re: Beer question

I love the Harviertouns Bitter and Twisted, but there are some great beers out there,La Fail and Ossian from Inveralmond brewery.

My Friend Max Benson (Pivini Folosof) rated Ossian as the nicest bottled Golden Ale he has tasted.

You might need to scroll down a bit ,and I am the Alan mentioned in the report.

www.pivni-filosof.com/search…

it is availabel on draught in some places.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Beer question

If you fancy a good cider for a change I can recommend Thistly Cross

thedrinkingmansguidetoscotland.com/thistly-c…

Great on draught.

Edinburgh, United...
9. Re: Beer question

Anyone been in the Hanging Bat lately,when I was in they were not making their own beer,well they were but it was not available for drinking.

I wasn't too impresed by the service or the prices in there, whole show was a bit amaturish for me but if the have got their act together then I might pop in again.

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Beer question

I got several bottles of Thistly Cross as a christmas present,loved them though I prefered the plain cider to the whisky casked cider.