We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, UK
reviews: 9
Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Right, my trip to Edinburgh is coming up soon(ish) and I am need of some suggestions for pubs because that's where I usually have my evening meal when I'm out. I'm looking for ones that do food (obviously) and Real Ale, and that are friendly to visitors from out of the area. I'm staying at the Bruntsfield, so somewhere around the centre, or near there would be nice. I like pubs of a historic nature too. I already have the Halfway House on my list, which is supposed to very nice, and now I'm looking for some other suggestions.

Thanks. :)

Edited: 6:24 am, March 28, 2013
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 29
1. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Try the Guildford Arms, its sister pub the Abbotsford or the Cafe Royal. All central, historic and traditional. The Guildford often has special "beer festival" periods when they get different real ales in and do promotions. http://www.guildfordarms.com/ Good pub food too. list.co.uk/place/22227-cafe-royal-circle-bar/

Edinburgh
2. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Cloisters is near Bruntsfield and has an excellent selection of real ales: www.spottedbylocals.com/edinburgh/cloisters/

Guildford Arms and Bow Bar probably have the best selection in the centre, Abbotsford and the Cafe Royal are also both good.

Bow Bar usually posts on Faceboak and Twitter what they have on tap each day: https://www.facebook.com/bow.bar.1

I have never had a meal at any of them though, so no idea on what their food is like - I don't think Bow Bar do food except some kind of pie thing!?) but all the rest do. The Piggy Place (OiNk!) opposite Bow Bar does some tasty pork rolls though. :)

Edited: 8:36 pm, March 29, 2013
Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
3. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Right in the centre of Tolcross, a few blocks north of Bruntsfield: the Cloisters Bar is on Brougham STreet and is in the CAMRA good pub guide 2013.

edinburghcamra.org.uk/pubfinder_edin/index.h…

Bruntsfield is area S6.

--

If you hop on a 16 bus down to Leith, you can visit the Malt and Hops, on The SHore, which has quite a few real ales; and the Kings Wark is very nearby and serves great food. ANd there's Teuchter's Landing in Dock Place. Areas V2 and U2. I mention this as a) where I live and b) loads of good food and drink and c) the Shore is more Scenic than Tolcross!

reviews: 94
4. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

If you are planning to go to the Halfway House, smallest bar in Edinburgh, then take a walk up the Royal Mile to the Jolly Judge (7 James Court, Lawnmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2PB). They don't do evening food but again it is a fairly unique wee pub (in the bowels of one of the huge tenements off the Royal Mile) and they normally have a few real ale taps on too. If you are looking for something different........I would agree with the comments in relation to Cloisters and the Bow Bar, both excellent pubs with great real ale. If you are venturing out of the centre there is, of course, The Stockbridge Tap and the Cumberland Bar too both of which do food during the day. Not sure about evening meals but the beauty of Edinburgh is that there are so many good places to eat close to these pubs you really are spoiled for choice.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
reviews: 60
5. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

If you go to the Guildford pop in next door to the Cafe Royal and marvel at it's interior with it's tiled panels. It beggars belief that the city planners were going to allow demolition this to make way for an extension to Woolworth's ( long since gone).

Kent, UK
6. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Some nice suggestions. Thanks. I usually have nothing until the evening (around 5-6pm) so I need somewhere that doesn't stop serving food too early

Kent, UK
7. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

OK, I'm in Edinburgh ATM, and this evening tried the Cafe Royal and the Abbotsford which at the top of my list in the centre as they have the best reviews (I'd just come out of the Castle). The thing is, both were packed out with nowhere to sit so they were no good! I would have tried the Guildford Arms but, according to their website they don't serve food between 3pm and 5:30, and it was about 4:15. I thought the Halfway House was likely to be packed too as its small so didn't try that one. I decided to walk back to my hotel to go the Cloisters, but was a bit worried in case that was too busy as well, and its a long way to walk back to town for somewhere else. In the end I ended up in the Doctors, as it was on the way back to the hotel and it looked ok with a reasonable clientele. I looked up a couple of reviews while I was in there and it came out fairly well. It was ok, but a Taylor Walker pub, which I don't have a problem as such with, but I can get enough of those in London!

So what's the best sort of time to visit these pubs when they're not too busy, baring in mind I usually don't eat when I'm away until the evening. Normally I find pubs pretty empty at that time sp I though it was a bit odd for them to be so busy.

Edited: 3:14 pm, May 14, 2013
Kent, UK
8. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Actually it was 4:45 (ish)

UK
reviews: 59
9. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Another option is to try the Red Squirrel, Southern or the Holyrood 9a. These places have great burgers, and wide selection of beer.

hope this helps!

Kent, UK
10. Re: Pubs in Edinburgh for food and Real Ale

Thanks. I'll give them a go tomorrow.