We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Marathon: Should I come to the city later?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Edinburgh Marathon: Should I come to the city later?

Hi,

Had planned my itin starting with Edinburgh, then moving onto Inverness and Skye for a 7 day trip. Unfortunately realized I land in Edinburgh bang on 25th , staying on 26th which coincides completely with the Marathon. Result: Am finding difficult to find accomodation in any of the shortlisted B&Bs. So had two questions:

a) Should I persist with this plan and come onto Edinburgh. If it is a minor re-routing then guess would still do so, but if it implies that traveling around would take longer and the city is just going to be overcrowded, then will figure something else.

b) If I change the itin, what would be the best place to start instead of Edinburgh. I come to London and was planning to take a hopping flight to Edinburgh. Given the places I have chosen, should I target Inverness to start the journey?

Would appreciate inputs.

Shaleen

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
29,438 posts
1. Re: Edinburgh Marathon: Should I come to the city later?

The marathon itself doesn't affect the tourist areas (except for the extra family and friends of runners), what it does affect is room availability and cost.

You could take the Caledonian overnight sleeper train or fly to Inverness and reverse your route finishing in Edinburgh

http://www.hial.co.uk/inverness-airport/

scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html

If you decide to keep to your original plan there's nothing stopping you flying or taking the train back to London once you reach Inverness.

Do consider the use of a multi-city or open-jaws ticket so you don't have to retrace your steps for the flight home. Starting your journey home at Inverness or Edinburgh is a lot simpler than from London and means you don't have to return to London the day before to ensure you catch your flight home

Mumbai
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Edinburgh Marathon: Should I come to the city later?

Thanks a lot for the response. Really helpful.

3. Re: Edinburgh Marathon: Should I come to the city later?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 01, 2014