We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Longboat Key...
reviews: 85
Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

My wife and I are driving through Scotland in mid April and plan on spending two nights in Edinburgh which means we'll be there one full day at best. We'd like to see as much as we can and stay in a nice hotel in a convenient location in the city. A four star hotel would fit us well. Can you recommend the area we should be looking for that is safe and convenient for a quick visit to see the city? Also, what is the best way to see the city that we're not familiar with at all?

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

I was going to suggest a central hotel, but your car is an issue. You would probably need to park it somewhere for 2 days. So, it's probably better looking at places just outside the centre where parking is easier.

Can I suggest you have a look at the 4-star hotel reviews on here and select a few for a closer look?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
2. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

Hi! Central Edinburgh is compact and walkable. Most of the key sights are within walking Distance. There is a good hop on hop off bus service(s) also to show you the sights.

Not to mention fantastic local bus routes (www.lothianbuses.com) to access any out-of-the-centre attractions.

Your car will be a drag when it comes to parking. Unless you are there sat and Sunday night (free on street parking from 18.30 Saturday to 08.00 Monday). Look for hotels that come with parking, or plan to leave your car at one of the big NCP carparks.

I love Missoni for a central modern hotel. Not sure about their parking policy though. Missoni is right in the middle of the royal mile, steps from the Castle.

Abs :)

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
3. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

There is one place right in the city centre, just at the back of the castle, which has it's own secure parking, they give you a electronic key to get into their car park and once in the park you enter at the back through a security door, so very safe. It's the Knight Residence. We always stay there when we are in Edinburgh. It's a great place to stay, usually No.1 on T.A. Four Stars, and the staff are the absolute best.

Edited: 3:41 am, March 28, 2013
4. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:39 pm, April 08, 2013
Longboat Key...
5. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

Thank you all for your advice! The point about having a car and parking downtown is well taken. We're actually on a drive tour and will leave Edinburgh and drive to Pitlochry to spend the night. Then we're off to Oban for two nights before visiting Glasgow.

Again, thanks for your help.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 81
6. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

If you want a decent hotel on the outskirts - own parking and easy access to roads North - you could look at the Edinburgh Marriott on Glasgow Road. Transport is easy - there are bus stops right outside and over a dozen routes head into town.

Alternatively simply factor £20 per day for multi-story/underground parking. Not cheap ... but allows you easier access to neaby central hotels.

Longboat Key...
7. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

Thanks again Derek!

Gifford, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
reviews: 115
8. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

Would also recommend the Knight Residence. Very central and the secure parking is a great bonus in central Edinburgh. You get a full serviced apartment which can give you the chance to catch up on your laundry if you are on an extended tour. and fantastic service from the onsite staff

Peterhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
reviews: 60
9. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

Hi Mike, glad you agree with me, if someone is looking for 4 Star accommodation with secure parking and easy walk to the town this is the only place to stay. I would hate to have to stay outside Edinburgh and have to catch buses in to the town.... It's not hard to get to the K.R. and once there you can just leave the car, although we have used it to get down the Royal Yacht Britannia Shopping Centre and it was no problem.

Have to say these luxury serviced flats are just perfect and I cannot recall such great staff..

Edited: 3:36 pm, March 28, 2013
Rutland, UK
reviews: 48
10. Re: Best place to stay for a quick visit to Edinburgh

For our forthcoming trip to Edinburgh we have chosen Hotel du Vin. It doesn't have parking but they give you a discount on a multi storey car park 5 minutes' walk away. HdV's dinner bed and breakfast rates are particularly good.The hotel itself is very central just yards away from the National Museum of Scotland.