We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Hi there - me and my husband are going to a concert at the Queen's Hall and I'd be really grateful for any local knowledge of somewhere great to eat beforehand. We know the main Edinburgh restaurant scene quite well but just wondered if anyone knew of any gems this side of the city - any kind of food any venue including pub food - much appreciated - thank you. (Oh it's a Sunday night if that makes a difference)

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 75
1. Re: Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Cafe Cassis is the nearest bistro/foodie place, a couple of Blocks south; they serve meals from 5 pm. And at St Patrick Square, a couple of blocks north, there are a couple of Indian places, the Ann Purna and Kalpna, the latter being vegetarian but good. My wife is veggie, I'm not, but I like their food as much as she does.

Or there's Blonde, on St Leonard's Street, one block East. Modern, a Scots Euro fusion sort of place. They start serving at 6 pm

Try Cassis first. Look it up on TA.

Edinburgh, Scotland
reviews: 60
2. Re: Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Good suggestions from Derek. Cassis, particularly, is our regular haunt, "best in class" (French/Scottish) and highly recommended. But there are alternatives - the Reverie is a bar that serves good food, Hanedan offers Turkish cuisine, was for a long time top of the TA list for Edinburgh, and remains good. There are other excellent Indian options - Kismot nearer the centre and Delhi Diner further out on Craigmillar Park. Sambuca (Italian/Scottish) and the New Bell (eclectic) are also very decent. One of our regulars, UncleGus, has previously reported that the Salisbury Arms is now a good pub-restaurant.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 202
3. Re: Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Ah, my stamping ground. Cafe Cassis is excellent and special. Kismot is great fun for curry and a laugh (or a bear hug from Akbar!). Blonde was always a favourite of mine for generous portions of Scottish cuisine at very reasonable prices.

I wasn't impressed by Hanedan, cramped dining and somewhat uninspiring cuisine.

Kismot, Hanedan and Cafe Cassis have each (at some point or other), been in the number 1 spot for Edinburgh restaurants on Tripadvisor - quite impressive really for little family run places off the main tourist drag.

A little further back along South Clerk St towards the city centre there are a few more spots - Mosque Kitchen for a rapid service curry feast. Or just round the corner on Chapel st there is the Sudanese delight The Nile Valley, right beside the great steaks at Buffalo Grill. Both are BYOB.

Some ideas to get you started!

Abs :)

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Hi Everyone - many thanks for your suggestions - very much appreciated and some new ones I've not heard of to try. In the event, we planned to Cafe Cassis because even though we knew of it we had not eaten here but unfortunately time overtook us and we had less than an hour to eat when we arrived in Edinburgh and wanted to safe Cafe Cassis for a more leisurely meal! We ended up at Mother India Cafe and had an absolutely lovely meal - very quick turn around which is what we needed!

Many thanks again

reviews: 96
5. Re: Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

Not sure if you have been to your gig yet but Heller's Kitchen, 15 Salisbury Place, EH1 9SL is quite close too and seems to open on Sundays......Good food, good value.

6. Re: Dinner - Close to Queen's Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 01, 2014