We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh enlightenment

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the overflow
reviews: 2
Edinburgh enlightenment

a long weekend in july...aussie couple looking to explore what remains of the scottish enlightment...as well as the usual tourist places.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 204
1. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

Hi!

Any particular aspect of The Enlightenment that you are interested in? Science? Art? Medicine? Architecture? There is a lot remaining from that period, some guidance from you would be helpful for us to point you in the right direction.

Abs :)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 584
2. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

there is an Enlightenment tour that you can go on.

mercattours.com/enlightenment-edinburgh.asp

Edinburgh University had a whole series of Enlightenment lectures last year ,I went to several of them and they were very good.

There is also an active Humanist group in the city that have regular talks,films and pub meets.

the overflow
3. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

well I am a scientist and have always been impressed by the scientific method and the power of technology etc...

more importantly my partner is a post modernist...you know the french philosophy goobbdlegook...i would like to impress her with a feel of the 'hotbed of reason' stuff.

the tour is a great start...

i hate to be lazy but...

can you recommend a cosy, character cheap two star hotel in the centre of town...we will probably be arriving by train..

an afternoon walk in the scottish countryside accessed by train?

a boat trip on the firth?

Edited: 5:02 am, March 04, 2013
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

Plenty of good walking in Edinburgh. Try Holyrood Park, Blackford Hill or Braid Hills

If you do want to go higher then take the 15 or 15A bus to the Pentland Hills

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

Hi!

By 'character cheap', do you mean devoid of character? (If so, nice phrase!)

For that, definitely check out Travelodge. They have loads of city centre locations. St Mary St, Waterloo Place, Rose St, Queen St - are all within easy walk of Waverley. Clean and comfortable and you can book rooms for as little as £19 per night if you catch a sale!

the overflow
6. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

hi abs....I missed a couple of commas

i meant cosy,character,cheap...you know those two star old ,out dated, rabbit warren hotels ...often found around railway stations...dare I say it with a fawlty towers touch

i will go travelodge if i have to

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

There is the Old Waverley Hotel- which has a bit of a reputation for being a bit outdated and 'rustic', shall we say. May be right up your street!

London, United...
reviews: 44
8. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

Try the museum at Surgeon's Hall for a bit of Enlightenment-era culture. Wander around Old College at the University then go next door to see the displays on the Enlightenment in the new wing of the Museum of Scotland.

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
9. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

Enlightenment in Edinburgh went well beyond philosophy and science; anyone who thought themselves worthwhile took an active interest in the arts. There were music clubs and this led to the building of St Cecilia's Hall, in the Cowgate, which. as a dedicated music venue in the UK, is second in age only to the Holywell Room in Oxford.

After a long and chequered history, it is now the host to two internationally reputed collections of Harpsichords and other early instruments, and is the venue for occasional concert series, usually played on instruments dating back to that time.

If you do end up at Old College or at the Museum in Chambers Street, the Cowgate, and St Cecilia's, are almost underneath you, Edinburgh's roads being a 3D sort of thing ... unlikely your visit will coincide with a concert, but it's possible to visit and see the collection, if you have an interest in music.

http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/index.html

Edinburgh...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 74
10. Re: Edinburgh enlightenment

There are two companies operating boats on the Forth, from North QUeensferry. One of them is served by one of the Edinburgh bus tours.

http://www.music.ed.ac.uk/euchmi/index.html

These trips only start after Easter - sadly the twits running their website only put up materials while the buses are running. Check at the end of April.